[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: show VS pet

  • From: Cynthia VanDenBerge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Show GSD List <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 05:28:11 -0700 (PDT)

First off Anja, You need to be careful about using terms like 'you folks'.
That is an unfair generalization that characterizes anyone who is active in
conformation as being manipulative and uncaring about the inexperienced
newcomer.  You are correct in that there are some insensitive people out there
that, for whatever reason, are not interested in helping the person who is
showing a less than competitive dog gain more knowledge and experience.  That
is indeed sad and I have seen it myself.  But, for that kind of person there
are a lot more that would and do go out of their way to help the newcomer.  I
had it done for me and I have, in turn, done it for others.
Second, the breeder who sells a pet to someone and then finds out that the
person has been bitten with the show bug should very gently guide that owner
along a path that will teach them what to look for in a good dog and hopefully
the owner will eventually have the scales removed fom their eyes and recognize
that their beloved Schatzie is not destined for the show ring, hence being sold
as a pet for probably less money.  I am thinking that something must have
happened at a recent show to spark this posting.  I am indeed sorry that
someone was mean and rude and by golly doesn't seem to have the heart to love
our great breed no matter what the outward appearance.  I am always amazed when
I meet someone who professes to love this breed and yet makes fun of a dog that
is maybe not the next 'world beater'.    Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I just
wanted to say that not everyone on this list, or who is into conformation is
like that.  Some of us really do like to serve!   Cynthia
Anja Heibloem-Stroud <Anja_Heibloem-Stroud@xxxxxxx> wrote:
You folks continue to amaze me! Keep hearing how we don't have any new blood,
how can we attract new people interested in showing. BUT someone develops a
interest in showing their pet puppy and you would of thought they were taking a
DAMN MUTT in the ring! I am as proud and happy with my companion quality pups
as I would be with any I intend to keep for myself. WHAT the HELL is wrong with
you people, are you ashamed to have one of your pets out there? Is it SO BAD
that under all costs it must not be in the ring??????? Have you considered that
by helping the person, and inviting them to a show, let them observe the goings
on that they could possibly own the next GV, or are you afraid of the potential
competition! The way things are going now, I doubt if we will have any shows
left for German Shepherds in another 10 years!
Anja Heibloem-Stroud
www.pet-net.net/hausmekon/

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original