[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: shoulders and....

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Trahanone@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:28:19 -0800

When we first got involved in shows you saw beautiful shoulders......but the
backs and
croups and the rears were lacking.   I think we are seeing more correct OVERALL
movement
with better backlines.  It should be a total package.   A great shoulder with a
bad
back, or
a rear that has to kick up to make up for the incorrrect timing that goes with
a good
front
and lack of rear drive is useless.....and tiring.
Some dogs have great suspension but cover no ground!!!  Some have lovely
shoulders
but have terrible toplines.   Bottom line....what you feel or measure is not
always
what
you get once the dog begins to move.  Ligamentation and balance and musclature
and
the rear driving the animal forward through a powerful strong back along with
good
feet
and strong pasterns and hocks and the athletic flexability to turn and stop and
speed
up and slow down are the pay off of a beautiful angulated correct moving dog.
I believe our Standard is fine.....but what we often see now is the
"impression" of
good
movement as the handlers hold up a dog as it drives forward giving the
"impression"
of good rear drive and front and topline.   Often it really isn't there......
At a recent show I watched a young dog with no good movement at all.....then
after a
few
short stepping passes around the ring it alerted and kicked into gear and
pulled into
the
leash and all of a sudden it "appeared" to be a good moving dog......then
everyone
clapped!
THIS is where we are losing the great ground covering stride;  when we work to
give
the ILLUSION of movement instead of breeding it, seeing it, and judging it.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com