[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: shoulder angles...

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:57:37 -0500

   To begin with, there is more than one angle in the forehand
assembly.  That's for starters.
     The top of the scapula measured against level ground is supposed to
be 45 degrees (that's the part Chuck is saying is more like 30 degrees),
and the angle between the other end of the humerus and the level ground
has to be less than that.  Those  angles are what make the 90 degree
angle between the humerus and the scapula.  In actuality, it is so rare
as to be practically non-existent, altho yes, we are all taught that
this is what we should strive for.
    The first angle, the one at the top of the scapula, APPROACHES 45
degrees more often than not (altho really I don't think it  happens all
that often) but the angle between the humerus and the radius (the
forearm), which ideally is more open than 45 degrees, will definitely
affect the movement in the forehand...the more open that angle is, the
greater the tendency to "lift" will be.  It is greater than a 45 degree
angle usually because of a short humerus...not just short but forward
placed...and that is what causes lifting.
    You can stack almost any dog to show a 90 degree angle between the
scapula and humerus (that's shoulder blade and upper arm, for those who
want it in simple language)...but when the dog moves, that
short/straight upper arm will cause lifting--the angle doesn't leave any
other choice.  Watch the way the shoulder opens...and how all three
angles work.
    Another thing that causes lifting is less angulation in the forehand
than in the rear assembly...if the rear is angulated enough to allow
that  hind foot to come way under the dog (which is what we want,
right?), and the front doesn't have matching angulation, the foot has to
lift up to avoid being stepped on.   In German Shepherds , at least on
this continent, we sort of want that mis-matched angulation, and that's
why the Standard says a Shepherd's hind feet stride past the fore feet,
changing sides with each stride.  (read the standard if you don't
believe me)...for dogs with less angulation between the humerus and the
radius,  all that's left is to lift the foot to get it out of the
way--it just can't work any other way.
    Since the majority of dogs have the shorter upper arm, that changes
the angle tremendously, just as Chuck said...and yes, that is what
causes lifting.  Draw it out...you can see it plain as day if you just
put pencil to paper.  I can't draw for bloody blue blazes, and I can
draw that out well enough to see it.
Peggy