[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: service dogs

  • From: <judsohngsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx" <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx>, rautt75@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 11:08:36 -0800

I have a service dog...he is a rescue German Shepherd.  I trained him through a
program called TOP DOG here in Tucson.  The program has been in existence for
more than 25 years.  It teaches disabled people to train their own dog and we
went to classes for  at least 18 months...during that time I was able to take
off for 6 months while I had a shoulder replaced and went to physical therapy.
then I continued to go to classes until my dog was ready.  The A D A law states
that any owner of a business can ask what the dog does for you, but cannot ask
to have it demonstrated.  I use a walker "CHARLIE"  helps me by getting me out
of any low chair, and picking up everything I drop.  He will even take clothes
out of a dryer for me.  my hands are in really bad shape and I drop quite a lot
of things..he behaves beautifully out in public...In 28 years of breeding
German Shepherds, he is the smartest dog I have ever had.  I do not know how I
would get along without him
yes
I have a handicap license plate..but that only works in parking lots.
I am always surprised how many people approach CHARLIE and I in stores , saying
how glad they are to see a working service dog, not a small dog riding in a
shopping cart
Judy Mendelsohn & Charlie
Certified team # 127
Tucson Arizona

---- Anne Utter <rautt75@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Maybe these animals should wear a placard that tells what they do!
> Actually, not all disabilities are that obvious.  For instance, my daughter
> has Cystic Fibrosis and breathing is extremely difficult on any exertion. She
> has a handicapped plate on her car - but she doesn't look sick!   Maybe this
> girl has seizures, or severe asthma attacks, where the dog has to alert or
> some other disability that can't be seen.
> It is always a shame some try to beat the system. But I guess they always
> have and alway will.   I just hate to judge someone by appearance.
> Anne, GA
>
> Sent from Anne's iPad
>
> > On Feb 9, 2015, at 1:14 PM, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > having an ex-wife with a " guide dog" I certainly am not going to question
> > some one with a service animal but I hate to see folks gaming the system
> > because like Daphne said it hurts the efforts of legitimate causes!  The
> > woman with the White GSD yesterday appeared just as stable and capable
> > moving around the airport as every one else...and the airport was
> > packed!But that's what humans do. Ed
> >
> > Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

POST is Copyrighted 2015.  All material remains the property of the original
are permitted without prior permission of both the original author AND of the

any post. POSTS CANNOT BE USED IN A COURT OF LAW.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html