[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: screwy - national herding

  • From: Werner Sommers <wernersommers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 18:15:22 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you Ms.Jennifer Root

I learned from your post.

Hi All
Typically Herding is scheduled the Sat & Sun (all breed trials) and Mon (GSD
Day)
A day of travel or rest on Tues and the conformation portion of our National
starts
Weds. I really don't see how else we could schedule it without running in to
the
conformation events.
While I am on the subject of Herding at the Nationals....
A number of years ago all of us that herd realized that the most common
complaint at any National herding event (GSD, Collies, Aussies, Corgis, etc)
was that either sheep and or the facility (one in place or sheep trucked in)
were awfull! So in putting on a National herding event you face two or three
major problems.
One is that if you do not use an established herding (or livestock) facility
you must rent/buy fencing for arenas and for holding sheep and have the
manpower to erect it and tear it down after the event....all quite costly.
That would bring us to the second and third problem....sheep that are
trucked in tend to be quite cranky and do not work well. If anyone besides
me recalls the Kentucky Nationals we had sheep leaping over the
temporary fencing as soon as you walked in the arena with a dog....it
was ugly folks!!
There are a few "roving" flocks that are used to being trucked in to sites
and can be used for A & B course......once again quite costly.
To my knowledge (and I am sure someone from C course will correct me
if I am wrong) there are no "roving" C course flocks and if there is I am
sure that would run in to quite a bit as well.
So, faced with these factors that turn a herding event in to a disaster , the
herding committee came up with a list of criterion to follow whenever
possible for our National herding event.
In a nutshell, we look for established sites with established flocks that are
used for training and trials on a regular basis. In addition this facility must
have "upright" dogs (GSD,Bouvier, Collie, Rotties) working their sheep on
a regular basis. In addition we would like that site to be as close as
possible to the conformation site. Unfortunately, this year there was no
facility close to the Ford Center that met our criterion.
Sorry this is so lengthy but there seems to be alot of discussion about
the herding event this year.........I hope this clears up the questions that
have been expressed.
A HUGE THANK EWE to all the clubs and individuals who sent trophy

Werner
http://imagegermanshepherds.com/
 BISS Am/Can CH. Scher-Lo's Mr Karizma HIC.OFA h&e
Am.CH. Hadori's Samantha OFA h&e
B.O.F CH. Pointed, Lorien's Play By Play OFA h&e