[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: scratching

  • From: WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Danannkennel@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:28:38 EST

In a message dated 12/19/04 4:35:00 PM, Danannkennel@xxxxxxx writes:

<< Help I need   more ideas
the others in the house are not scratching
Sally >>

Do you have a live Christmas tree or other fresh pine/wreaths or new plants
in the house?  My first dog developed a strange sneezing type problem (sort of
like a backwards sneeze) and we were at the ER vet on several occasions.  Of
course, she would never actually exhibit the behavior in front of the vet.
And, being my first dog as an adult, I really had no idea what it was.

Some of the live trees or other greenery is spray painted or sprayed with
other stuff and that can cause an allergic reaction.  They are reacting to the
paint (or whatever) and not the pine itself.  Although the reaction is more
typically a hayfever type reaction allergies can show up in many ways, but I
know
you know that - I'm adding that line to help educate less experienced people.

It took about 6 weeks after the tree came down before she stopped that weird
sneezing/hacking.  It was also a number of vet visits, and when we went to a
specialty clinic, I was so scared that when the vet told me that she had "POST
NASAL DRIP" I burst into tears I was so relieved.  She was only two, but I
thought she had some weird thing that would kill her.  But I cry over
everything
so I'm a bit odd that way.

Kelly