[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: say... What?!? Hip replacements & showing

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: proudk911@xxxxxxxxx, marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 16:29:11 -0400 (EDT)

I 'gotta tell you...it's not my problem.

I breed dogs to the standard, (that's AKC if you are interested, WITHOUT
DQs BTW), do the routine health checks and then some, show/ finish and
campaign  dogs, maybe breed a litter or two and have a llooonnngggg waiting
list
if/hen I  do. Other than the one I might hold back, by a long shot, the
majority are  in family homes, many play in performance (AKC!), some certified
therapy  dogs, a few certified SAR dogs and several that work w/ PTS vets.
Obviously the dogs aren't wing-nuts.

I just don't see everything as awful as you apparently do, and no, my head
isn't in the sand.  If you had been at the National this year you'd have
seen so much to be proud of.  The breed is in terrific shape.

Now..."show dogs" are a very small percentage of GSDs registered. I  guess
I should clarify and say AKC. Then we add in people breeding colors  and
rare patterns and DQ's. Then we add in back yard breeders and  millers.  We
didn't get to be #2 or 3 in registrations from "show  breeders". Some of these
dogs vaguely resemble GSDs anyway. I don't know  anything about the health
or fail rate of their dogs for genetic testing, nor do  I care any more than
I care about labs, min pins etc.  They might as well  be a different breed
of dog.

Majors?  A nice Solo daughter finished this weekend...maybe 16-17  months
old, I'd have to check.  Oh, and if I need to be specific...that's  AKC.
Another of his daughters should finish the end of the month.

Maybe I just hand with a better crowd?

So, keep going on w/ the sky is falling nonsense, I'm off to play w/ well
bred CORRECT dogs.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 6/18/2014 3:09:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
proudk911@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I don't mean to be rude, but I want to yell "pick up your head and clean
the sand out of your ears!"
To try to distort the message being about GSDs on a GSDs list who are AKC
titled dogs into "not being our (breed's) problem" and not being GSDs at all
 is just plain trying to reach for what is not there.
I should think that perhaps it is from attitudes like these presented is
part of why our breed still has the OFA flunk rate that it does. But "it's
not  our problem" hasn't done much to fix that has it?  The attitude of "it's
not our problem" is precisely why the ENTIRE SPORT OF DOGS is in the
condition  it is today, and why so many of these little things never get talked
about  even though they do exist and in higher frequency as time goes along...
Just  feeding the AR people who don't want for future generations to have
the  enjoyment of dog showing.
We will never survive when SHOW BREEDERS are ducking & weaving from  the
truth as it is today.  Perhaps it is those types of attitudes that  the public
perceive that has turned so many potential pet owners off of show  bred
dogs?   Perhaps it is those attitudes that have resulted in the  steep decline
of GSD show entries, where exhibitors complain about sick low  numbers for a
major but yet can't pull one together at a show?  The  decline in GSDCA
membership?  Where those "going out" are looking at an  empty spot since there
aren't people "coming in" to the breed to STEWARD  it?
I well know that there are those who will choose to ignore or deny it,  yet
again- each of the dogs I talked about WERE INDEED AKC FULL REGISTERED
SHOWING AND TITLING GERMAN SHEPHERD DOGS (just so there can't be any ambiguity
about what a GSD might be).  It will fall on deaf ears to some, and all
that is okay too. My goal is not to win a popularity contest, as I already
know being forthcoming and popularity just don't mix well and I'm just fine
with that.
I'm also well sure that if anyone has been around dog showing long  enough,
that yes YOU too probably know of a GSD who has had a corrective  surgery
and is in the show ring. "Fixed ears" anyone?  I know anyone  who's been
around a minute knew the old "fix" to a gay tail... That is a  corrective
procedure- and ones which are done PURELY FOR SHOWING IN THE  CONFORMATION RING
AND TO WIN.   Don't lie to yourself and say things like  these last 2 examples
aren't just for that purpose!  There is no other  reason either procedure
would be done to a dog just to be a pet- it's done so  the dog looks better
and can win.   Me?  I could live with a gay  tail better than a kicked-around
tail that doesn't work. I like a dog who can  waggle, but that's just my
opinion as a pet owner first, exhibitor then  breeder.
I am glad I gave up on disillusionment years ago for if I were a new  comer
to GSDs and hearing "it's not our problem" would have had me walking  away
like most others and running back to performance only with AKC as so many
others have... And where most people can owner handle there too. There's
nothing better in the world than doing a job well done as the team of man and
dog; I am lucky enough to be an adequate handler in all the venues I show in
 and that I enjoy doing things with my dogs.  (And maybe that's why I'm
supporting our PC with futurity entries even though I have an ugly puppy right
 now. But club support is another story and not this topic!)
Bottom line, as stewards of this breed, it is our responsibility to our
breed's future to YES talk about what is going on in our breed today and not
forget about yesterday all while looking to tomorrow. "Tomorrow" can only
happen with honesty & communication amongst the keepers of this (or any)
breed, or else there won't be one.

Jen P & her Pack accepting of being just a freak on (the end of) a  leash
if that's what it is cuz that's what it is

JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911
_www.jaydeesphs.com_ (http://www.jaydeesphs.com/)
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!

AKC Breeder of Merit

On Jun 18, 2014, at 9:48, "Carolyn Martello" <_marhaven@suddenlink.net_
(mailto:marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) >  wrote:

AHHh.  I thought we were talking about  German Shepherd Dogs
only also...and definitely thought we  were talking about
SHOW GSD and breeders also.

Sorry, my  mistake.

=

http://showgsd.org/mail.html