[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: say... What?!? Hip replacements & showing

  • From: "Chris S. Kimerer" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "tanbarkgsd@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:51:22 -0700

OK, HAVE to respond on this one now.  I've been involved in "dog showing" now
for 31 years and can honestly honestly say, I personally DO NOT know of a
single dog that has had fixed hips so he could be in the breed ring.  I do know
of one, years ago now, that had a fixed elbow, got shown, but was never bred.
I'm fairly intelligent and don't pretend this might not go on, but have not had
the displeasure of actually knowing anyone in my circles that has done this.

The ear and tail thing I personally don't feel is in the same category as hips
and elbows.  I know people have fixed an ear(s), a tail, but that is not a
structural thing, and to me will not effect "the breed".  I'm not talking about
AKC rule stuff here, strictly talking from a breeder ethical point of view.
Fixing elbows and hips is a serious structural fault, and obviously should
never be bred.  I don't blame a person for doing the surgery to help the dog
have a painless/painfree existence, but then to show or heaven forbid breed
that dog goes against everything a reputable breeder should stand for.  Not
sure how a person hears about such dogs, I would imagine a person would keep
that extremely quiet, nonetheless, even with attending an average of 1 show per
month, I have not ever heard ring side discussion about "well you know, that
dog has fixed hips".  I'm NOT saying that this info is not true, I'm just
wondering what shows one
 attends to hear that.  I do mainly stay in the Midwest region, but know quite
a few of the show people and have never been privy to such a "disclosure".  And
once again, NO, I'm not trying to stick my head in the sand, I know our breed
has issues, I know there are show people that do anything necessary to win, but
this discussion is about personally knowing dogs that have had this procedure
done and have afterwards been shown and possibly bred.

OK, hope this is not going to be taken confrontationally, not intended as such,
just my experience and perspective as a long time show exhibitor, breeder and
steward of the breed that's on the other side of the fence perhaps.

Respectfully

Chris
Chris S. Kimerer
Hillside-Tanbark Kennels     http://www.tanbarkgsd.com/