[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: say... What?!? Hip replacements & showing

  • From: Jen proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 06:40:20 -0500

No, I never used the word "most" but used 7 specific examples of surgical
corrections I know of personally who have shown in both conformation and
performance sports. Yes one of the hip replacement dogs was a rescue and ILP
and only performance shown but everyone else was full AKC registered and multi
titled.
After 30+ years of showing I might have doggy terminology down.... That is
unless the "breed ring" no longer = conformation and performance no longer =
everything else?  Heck that could be too for all I know but I do believe I
still got that part right anyhow
But, no 7 mentioned dogs certainly doesn't constitute most of the show breeders
nor dogs in our breed... Not that this small cross section is representative of
the real numbers... But just cases I actually know about.
I don't mean to sound harsh, but it's the truth as it is, and chances are one
would never actually be able to obtain an accurate statistic of the dogs who
have had corrective surgeries in our breed seeing as breeders can't even yet
manage to initial the open database box on the OFA form!
Fact is, though not (yet) common in our breed, many other breeds have
corrective surgeries as a matter of course, who are gone and shown and even
often bred despite needing corrective surgery for a genetic condition. Believe
it or not, it is what it is.
Fact is, even though many breeders/owners opt not to send in OFAs they plainly
know will fail, still almost 20% of those who are sent in FAIL either their
hips or elbows!  HD (& ED for that matter) is in our breed to stay for now, and
a number (I wouldn't even guess) end up needing corrective surgery (whether it
be a total replacement or not) for their genetic condition. Afterwards, yes
they should be a pet like I said in my earlier posting.
I thought I was pretty clear,"a resounding NO" I sure don't think a dog with
corrective surgeries for genetic conditions especially should continue to show-
for the breed ring is to exhibit your breed-hopefuls is it not?!?  I do more
health screenings on my dogs than many many people on this list. Who here does
a PennHIP and OFA hips elbows cardiac patella dentition on every dog and
sometimes  mdr1 DM shoulders CERF on their dogs too?  Who but me complains for
getting an OFA excellent because the PennHIP DIs are only "breed average"?!?
Lots of people hope for breed average and I'm disappointed when scores are less
than the top 20%!  I always initial the box come what may and expect my puppy
buyers to do the same come what may.  Unless an owner messes up and allows an
untested dog to breed (then all bets are off) I guarantee my pups to pass front
& back for any pup from my house. I'm a real stickler about (especially) joint
health- I require any breeding potential to be PennHIPed as well. More
information to take to the breeding table, ya know? (Like the dogs with the
tight joints keep their hip conformation where the ones with loose joints start
out fine at 2 and flunk by 7. See that often enough too. But that's another
story, and basically the fix for that is PennHIP.)
I thought I was very clear in what I wrote and it was meant to be read and
taken quite literally, all but for my opinions (clearly stated) and anecdotes
to illustrate my points anyhow...
<shrugging> what more can I say?

Nighty y'all-

Jen P & the Pack with another cancer surgery on the table tomorrow. :(. 3rd one
in a week!

JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911
www.jaydeesphs.com
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!
AKC Breeder of Merit

http://showgsd.org/mail.html