[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: same day shows concept

  • From: Bill Basu <billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx, cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 10:48:44 -0700 (PDT)

I have been a supporter of 4 show weekends as a way to maintain entries here on
the West Coast. It DOES NOT solve the problem of encouraging new people into
the breed, however i believe the 4 show weekend benefits far outweigh its
costs.  \
IMHO the order of consideration should be as follows:

a. The Health of the Dogs:   I agree with both Carolyn's these dogs should
easily be able to handle two shows per day for two days. Puppies can be
excluded and no one is forced to enter all four shows.  I believe showing at
the National is more physically assertive to adult dogs than showing twice in a
day with  3 or 4 hours between each showing. Remember these are herding dogs
and

b. The Cost and Ease to the Exhibitor: The Exhibitor is the "Customer". In this
case the customer is finding it increasingly expensive to show dogs, so a four
show weekend is a way to dramatically reduce the cost of showing to the
customer. In addition for example in California the specialty show person would
have to only plan on 7 show weekends rather then 12 show weekends. I would
think this would make dog showing much easier for the exhibitor.

c. Club Members: I would think setting up and organizing for one weekend per
year would be less work and less stressful then having to do the same thing
twice a year. I think it would also be easier to round up more volunteers for
one show weekend then twice a year. And what happened to the cooperation
between clubs that this could foster. "all for one, one for all".

d. Handlers: IMHO any Handler that can't show two shows per day for two days is
not taking their craft seriously and not in shape. I believe all the handlers i
know could easily handle this.  I just turned 51 yrs old and i handled 12 dogs
per day on a 4 show weekend and trust me there are If 4 show weekends were the
norm, you can bet all the handlers would be in shape to handle this and if they
aren't they will be replaced by younger fitter handlers. Just simply a
"survival of the fittest" situation.

As i am studying freshman biology with my 14 yr old daughter, let me apply
Darwin's theory of Evolution to the German Shepherd Specialty ring.
Our sport will only survive and thrive based on our ability to ADAPT to our
environment. In these days of economic hardship, lower local club membership
and an aging membership the 4 show weekend is a means to successful ADAPTION.

As an old and wise CEO told me a long time ago, you must at some time decide if
it is "More important to be right than successful".

My two cents.

Bill

________________________________
From: Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, May 29, 2010, 6:11 PM

I've watched puppies around our property since "before dirt"  and never ceased
to be amazed at how they will, and
can,  play all day long by 6 months of age.   They may become mentally bored
going in a ring twice in one day but
I don't think they are so exhausted they cannot show or move around a ring a
few times.
UNWILLING and stubborn  maybe..........<G>..........but not exhausted.
Heard someone comment recently that two shows in one day is just too hard on
the dogs?
Isn't this a Herding Breed.........bred to herd sheep and work all day long??

Maybe we should take a second look at a dog that cannot move around the ring
with presence twice in one day?
<G>
Didn't we once have shows with entries so big that lasted so long that Clubs
had to hire two judges for one show,
and the handlers had to 'switch off'  to keep going??   When did this Breed
become so weak as to not handle going
around in a circle a few times twice in one day??
My thought is that if the dog cannot handle two small shows in one
day........why not only enter one show.    But as a
Judge,  wouldn't you want to know a dog couldn't gait in a circle a few times
in two shows in one day?
SURELY traveling the same distance on another weekend has to be hard on the
dogs too....AND the drivers.
<G>
Some worry about Club members becoming tired putting on two shows in one day.
YEP....it is tiring......but certainly no more tiring than another show weekend
to have to drive to,  load again , unload
again, pick up judges, set up rings all over again,  send out Premium Lists and
mail again,  Type up Entries again,
Print out Catalogs again,and clean up the show grounds again, AND find enough
willing and able Club workers to give
up yet another weekend and work again.....AND then, spend the rest of the Club
year meeting and planning the second
show!   . ( no wonder we can't get new members )  ( Not to mention
'requirements'  AKC  has our Clubs fulfill now )
All the time HOPING that we have Exhibitors willing to support our Show and
Judges again enough to make that long
drive and expenses for themselves and their handler all over again.    In truth
with entries what they are now we can
easily manage two shows on Saturday and two shows on Sunday and be done!    It
gives the Exhibitors and handlers
four Judge choices in one weekend and all in one trip.........and frees up more
weekends for everyone.
If more Specialty Clubs and or All Breeds would start planning on two shows in
one day.....that would free up a lot
more weekends for Clubs getting more available weekend dates for our Futurities
and Shows without  bumping heads
with another Club and their show weekend.   A little more Organization......but
more worthwhile entries for the work.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com