[ SHOWGSD-L ] same K9's or different? (was Re: Re: land-mine detection dogs - Important questions

  • From: "L. Hartten" <hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx, Falkrigia@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:26:48 -0700

Dear Lynda & Denise,
  I have not been saving the posts on the land-mine detection dogs, but
the following was just posted on the GSD-L list.  It's
similar-but-different, which makes me suspicious.  Is this the same
story, a different story, or ???  For what it's worth, I just checked
snopes.com and they are not listing anything like this as an active hoax.

-------- Forwarded post from GSD-L --------
Subject:        [GSDL] URGENT RESCUE: K9 GSDs/Malinois schedule to die Saturday!
Date:   Fri, 23 Feb 2007 08:29:25 -0800
From:   Joann Furse <jfurse@xxxxxxxx>
To:     Gsdl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PERMISSION GIVEN TO CROSSPOST

NOTE: Any persons interested may contact me at:
LCarpenter1@xxxxxxxxxxx or may call me at 0799 598 046 for details.

If you read the posts below, you will hear the story of how 26 German
Shepherds and/or Malinois are to be euthanized after 5 years' service
of bomb detection in Afghanistan.  The dogs are owned by a private
contractor and obviously, there are no parameters for preventing
wanton misuse and abuse of these dogs.  He is most likely retiring
them because he will be getting more money to put new dogs in to
replace these.

At present, I have a friend working with a friend at the  GAP -
Gifted Animal Program, to set up an angel network to get these dogs
out.  The guy at GAP says he can rehome all 26 dogs.  However, the
"contractor" says it will cost $2,000 each to fly these dogs out of
Afghanistan.

So I am begging for anyone who has connections for:

Airline support
Media coverage
Political support

If anyone has access to any of the above related resources, please
please contact me immediately.  It isn't long until Saturday comes
and these dogs' time is up.

DETAILS:
Any expatriates (only) wishing a FREE Mine Detecting Dog may have one
of 26 dogs available. These German Shepherds and Belgian Malinois
(Belgian Shepherd) are approximately 6 years old, and at the end of
their working lives. These are pure-bred animals that have spent
nearly 5 years clearing mines and are highly disciplined. They will
ALL have a very high drive, and love to chase a ball, their "reward"
for finding a mine.

     Any person accepting one of these dogs must agree to ship the
dog to their home, or take it with them when they leave Afghanistan .
As I said, these are pure bred animals. Keeping them here would
create competition with the breeding program in country. Recipients
will be personally responsible for shipping and other costs
associated with transporting the dog home.

     This is an opportunity to own an extremely well trained dog that
was valued last year at $12,000 each. The harsh reality of the useful
lifespan of a working dog makes the dogs unsuitable for mine
clearance this year.  Any animal not placed by this Saturday will be
euthanized in order to make kennel space for new dogs.

     Any persons interested may contact me at:
LCarpenter1@xxxxxxxxxxx or may call me at 0799 598 046 for details.

     Regards,

     Lloyd Carpenter
     Project Manager
     Weapons Removal and Abatement - Afghanistan
     +93 (0) 799 598 042