[ SHOWGSD-L ] ring stewarding and thank you, bill!

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:05:35 EDT

i learned something new this weekend.  i used to ring steward ALOT in the
80's - never cared for it much but it seemed that no one ELSE cared for it
either and, since it had to be done, i often ended up doing it.  had to do it
again last year as the AKC decided that, in order to be licensed to judge,
all your stewarding had to be current (3 years).   i grumbled about it but
did it.  bobbie kindy just went through the same thing and i'm sure others
have as well.
i've stewarded with many different people and learned something from each
of them.  BUT, this past weekend, i had a real eye-opener.  i am a very
mechanical steward - just get done what needs to be done - and always thought i
did it relatively well.  last sunday, bill petterson stewarded for me in that
awful awful heat.  yes, he did the "job" very quickly and efficiently and,
yes, that does make a judge's job much easier and run more smoothly.  but,
wow, i found out just how helpful a steward can be if they take the time,
which bill certainly did.  he took special care to make sure that i had a
constant supply of bottled water so i wouldn't get dehydrated and took that to
great lengths by reminding me, after EACH class, to "go drink!"  during
breaks, he made me move my chair each time the sun even moved enough to let one
ray land on my head.  in other words, he watched, was cognizant of everything
and made sure that neither i nor any handler or dog was going to end up in a
dangerous position due to the excessive heat that day, something that could
have happened very easily.

after almost 30 years in this "game" of dogs, i still learn something new
every day and sunday was no exception.  i now know what it means to be a good
steward -   thank you bill!!!!!!
diane
Diane Silver-Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Dell Summer Savings: Cool