[ SHOWGSD-L ] (ring) Size matters

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:26:11 EST

In a message dated 3/22/2005 11:20:41 P.M. Central Standard Time,
Stormy435@xxxxxxx writes:
There  are many working/herding dogs that need a larger ring.   The GSD is
one
of many.   However, many of the sup'ts/ Show Chmn do not  reliquish the space
because they "say" that we race our dogs around and  many large, "moving"
dogs
don't do that and can handle the smaller  ring.   Not saying they are right
or
wrong.   Just  heard what I heard when asking for a larger ring.   And then,
get a larger ring, and the handlers "cut" it and the stewards/judges make
comments about THAT!   There needs to be a quid pro quo  here.   (Or whatever
I'm
trying to say  LOL)
Stormy

I wonder.....
I know that obedience rules require rings to be a certain size.
How about legislating thru AKC for an approved ring size for our  breed?
What do you think, what would it take?  I find it  frustrating whenever we do
manage to get a big ring and you see the handlers  cutting.  I love it when
the judges remind them to  "take them all  around, and use the whole ring,
please".  I pay attention to those  judges.
They are usually the ones that ask for a loose lead and mean it.

Ileana