[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: reviving the sport

  • From: LeBrowngsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 20:25:11 EDT

Carolyn, the GSDC of Jackson is not folding. They are having shows next
year and hosting the futurity in 2012.  Where did you get that  information?

Lee Brown

In a message dated 7/5/2010 7:09:32 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I, too, am dismayed that the GSDC  of Jackson ifs folding, along
with many  others. We cannot reverse this trend unless we can        get the
"show bug" to bite.  We are not going to accomplish  this        encouraging
the new puppy buyer to enter  his lovely animal in        a show.  He must
pay  the entry ($25); of course, he cannot show        the  puppy himself so
there's $ 85 for the handler; possibly  motel,        gas, and meals another
$100. Now, this  is a two show week end       so we double that:$420. (
Realize these are low estimates ) Now,       if he should  win even one of
these first two shows, he could come        back for another dose:; however, if
he loses, he's out of the dog    show scene.  We've lost another exhibitor.
  I ask those of you who have been in the game 30, 40, or  more
years,  compare the above scenario with  your start in the dog
show world.  You may  have started, as many of us did, in       obedience;
then  someone encouraged you to enter your dog        in a  match;  entry
fee $3 to $5, no handler, matches were quite    abundant (mostly all breed)
therefore close to home, but,  heck,       gas was 25 cents a gallon, and you
could show  your own dog        in those days (plus, we were a  lot younger
LOL)  Sooooo, to        show your  dog in that match probably cost you no
more than       $7  ........ and since it was an all breed match, you came
away      with a ribbon and in those days, usually even a trophy. You    were
bit by the DS bug.       We are going  to have to sharpen the teeth of that
DS bug in       order  to get people interested in showing, and to do that,
we      are going to have to set aside our GDS elitist attitude and    work
with the ab clubs. Our little matches between  specialty       shows
are not going to bring in new  exhibitors, only our own       breeders to
show off their  puppies.  By the same token, the       ab matches at  the end
of an ab show are not going to bring         in new exhibitors in any
breed, only those exhibitors already    at the show with a few puppies.
What I  am suggesting would take work; joining an ab club;        encouraging
them to understand that only small successes      will bring in new
exhibitors; putting on city-wide matches  to       entice the new people;
encourage
the obedience  folks who       have a decent dog to enter conformation as
well; allowing       these young people to succeed in some  way that may bring
      them into the jaws of the DS  bug.       The problem is not limited
to the GSD; it is  rampant in all breeds.       We must bring new people in;
to do that, we must find an enticing       carrot. That  carrot is a win of
some
kind that the player can afford      in the very beginning.       We cannot
fight the  magazines, the ratings, the thousands spent       on
advertising for top dog, but we can try to bring some semblance    of  looking
to the
future of a sport that is  dying.       Think about it.
Carolyn

POST  is Copyrighted 2010.  All material remains the property of the

For assistance,  please contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org