[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: rethinking spay and neutering

  • From: Katie Halfen <kthalfen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <caretti1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, gsd list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:39:31 -0500

A torn ACL surgery depends on the type of repair-a lateral suture can go for
around $1000 (we do about 1-2 per week at the hospital I work at) to in the
thousands ($2000-$5000) for a TTA or a TPLO.  I must say of the thousands of
ACLs (CCLs in veterinary terms) that I have seen, the vast majority of dogs
(more than 95%) are tearing the ligaments from obesity and lack of exercise
than dogs that are rupturing them from being performance dogs/dogs that are
active and physically fit and tear them from being spayed/neutered early in
life.

The labradors that come in weighing 30-50 pounds above their ideal body
condition rupture their ligaments from obesity and conformation, not from being
spayed and neutered at 6 months of age.  Spaying and neutering can lead to
obesity, but so can an uneducated dog owner who feeds the dog excessively
leading to obesity.  In the end, the owner controls how much the dog eats and
is ultimately responsible for obesity in their pets and one may add also their
children.

Katie Halfen DVM
Casamoko Shepherds
www.casamoko.com

From: caretti1@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: kthalfen@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] rethinking spay and neutering
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 14:22:26 -0600
CC: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Dec 27, 2010, at 1:47 PM, Katie Halfen <kthalfen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  The number of unplanned dog and cat pregnancies abound in the area that I
practice-and the majority of my clients are college educated and quite
affluent.  It doesn't mean they are responsible pet owners that can handle
keeping their dogs intact and avoid an unwanted litter.

Just some more food for thought,
Katie Halfen DVM
Casamoko Shepherds
www.casamoko.com

What is the going rate for surgery on a torn ACL?  Perhaps that should be part
of the early spay/neuter conversation between the vet and client also.

Cyndi Flautt

sent from my I phone.