[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: rethinking spay and neutering

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: kthalfen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 13:16:51 -0800

Katie, isn't there much more involved than an unwanted litter when
discussing early sterilizing?  I have now read so many research papers
on the subject and the consensus is beginning to tilt that it is much
more dangerous to a dog's health than not, especially sterilizing
before the age of 2 to 2.5.   Bone development is a big factor, bone
cancer of the long bones, and we are beginning to see studies that
there is more obesity problems with castrated males, more aggression
with spayed females, side effects of urinary incontinence.  Also
cardiac hemangiosarcoma, with both  sexes, vulva, and vaginal problems
in the female, and so much more.

I'm just pulling these out of my memory hat, but I could probably add
to the list.

Stormy Hope
www.carpoc.org
UPDATED EVENTS/LINKS!
AKC Legislative Liaison, GSDCA
GSDCA Legislation
http://tinyurl.com/2bwzy5x
Sunshine Squad showgsd.org/sunshine.html