[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: rethinking spay and neutering

  • From: Katie Halfen <kthalfen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx>, <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 18:56:00 -0500

And I agree with you completely on the spaying and neutering at such a young
age as being wrong.  I don't think puppies should have anything done at 8 weeks
other than some worming and maybe a first vaccine.  And should still be with
their mothers and littermates, but thats a whole other ballgame.

Katie Halfen DVM
Casamoko Shepherds
www.casamoko.com

From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 18:37:25 -0500
Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: rethinking spay and neutering
To: kthalfen@xxxxxxxxxxx; pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx; stormy435@xxxxxxx
CC: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

katie - i think what peggy, bob and many of us are having a problem with are
the juvenile spay/neuters at 8 weeks - not the ones being done at 6 months.  no
one is arguing the lack of ability and/or responsibility of some owners; what
we can't support is harming the puppy's future by altering him/her at 8 weeks
of age .
diane
Diane Silver-Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
Skatiebug'z The online store for everything German Shepherd and then some!
http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com Skater's Blog

In a message dated 12/27/2010 3:08:29 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
kthalfen@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I'm not saying that everyone should spay/neuter their dogs early, but there are
certain pet owners who are not responsible and should be told to spay and
neuter at 6m. of age.  I guess some people don't get this, so let me try to put
this in terms that everyone can understand.  Would you talk to a homeless about
house insurance?  Would you discuss retirement plans with someone who is
unemployeed?  This is the same thing as talking to a person about delayed
spaying/neutering to someone who can't housetrain their dog or get them to stop
eating the trash.  If they can't handle simply pet ownership responsiblities,
they probably aren't able to avoid having their dogs get bred and avoid
unwanted pregnancies.  I hate aborting litters of kittens and puppies due to
people's ignorance and I think this would make that a more common procedure.

Katie Halfen DVM
Casamoko Shepherds
www.casamoko.com

> From: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx
> To: Stormy435@xxxxxxx; kthalfen@xxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: rethinking spay and neutering
> Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 17:16:22 -0500
>
> Every report I've seen on early spay/neuter in the past few years has been
> very much against it...the benefits are not worth the risks.
> That's the overall opinion...anyone who thinks otherwise probably needs to
> do more research...vet or not.
> Peggy

is Copyrighted 2010.  All material remains the property of the original author
Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.