[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: reserves and the Futurity system

  • From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • To: sally@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 16:56:49 EST

In a message dated 1/8/2006 11:10:20 A.M. Central Standard Time,
sally@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
think  originally the futurity was a breeders showcase - I don't think it
has  been that in many a year.  I think driving 14-15 hrs to get to the right

judge(or flying)  paying very high prices for handlers ,    Eliminating some
of the top breeders in the country as judges, has changed  the whole concept-
I myself have never used the red book tabulations from  the futurity/maturity
shows to guide my breeding.   Too many  placers never finish out. especially
when there are only 2 or 3 in a  class.  If indeed the futurity could go back
to what it was then  it  would be a valuable tool once again

sally

Maybe it is time to resurrect the FREE Committee I had when I was  President.
That stands for Futurity,Redbook Education & Evaluation. Joan  Ford was
chairman.and Gary Staser was co-chairman. The Redbook was revamped at  that
time,and the complaint on the Futurities was that it was no longer a  breeders
show.
Some members wished to return to the original reason for having  Futurities
that Burr Robins had started when he was President( copying the  horse fancy)
Sometimes a small breeder/exhibitor committee can get more work  done,then
asking the Board to do something now..The new Board has a lot on it's  plate
right
now,and I know the Review problem has priority. If a small  committee,with new
Futurity chairman Nancy Harper ,could work  separately,they could present the
suggested changes to the Board at the  April meeting, Helen Miller Fisher