[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: "rescues"

  • From: pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: ejdegen@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 09:03:08 EST

Good post Julie.  You made two points I was going to make...not all  dogs
can/should be saved AND I cringe when I see multiple thousands spent on a
sad case when resources are scarce to start with.

Rationing care isn't going to be a welcome thing when it comes to
people...unfortunately it is much needed when it comes to  rescue.

I worry (and I'm sure I'm not alone) when I take the call when someone
wants to place a dog in rescue who has proven it would be better w/ a one way
trip to the vet.  I (like many I'm sure), explain why that particular
problem isn't a rescue candidate.

Then I get off the phone knowing full well they'll call the next person and
 say the dog needs placed because they are getting a divorce, or have a
child who  is allergic, or moving where they can't take the dog...and all I've
done is  educate them on what to say...

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 1/8/2010 1:46:12 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ejdegen@xxxxxxx writes:

Other  than donating money, I have not worked with any "official" GSD
rescues.  I have on my own, however, rescued and placed dogs and also  have

worked directly with some all breed rescue groups.

Two things that everyone needs to remember:
1.  Not all  dogs can be saved.
2.  Not all dogs SHOULD be saved.

What upsets me is when rescues are saving the WRONG dogs.   When  I take a
dog in, it is with the understanding that if *I*  don''t feel this  dog
SHOULD
be saved, it will take a one way trip to  the vet.  Period.   I don't
rehome
them to ANYONE.  If  there's someone out there willing to  take a problem
dog, good for  them.  They can get it  for themselves.  They won't get it
knowingly from me.  I worry  not only about the liability of  placing a dog
that I
know is (or could be) an  issue, but more about  the ethical responsibility
and devastation that  I would feel if  someone was bitten....or, God
forbid,
permanently disfigured or   worse.

There are also the dogs out there that are taking huge  amounts of monetary

resources to save because of health  issues.  No, that's not the dog's
fault
and I'm not saying that dog  isn't a "good" dog that deserves a good home.
But, if a rescue is  spending thousands of dollars on ONE dog, but now has
to  turn away  another 5 dogs because they don't have the monetary means to
support   them until they are adopted, that is wrong.  When you're working
with  rescues, sometimes "hard" decisions need to be made with our  heads
and
not with  our hearts.  If an owner or adoptive home  chooses to spend their
own
money  to "save" a dog, that's different  than a rescue that is using
donated  funds.  Plus, we need to  remember that dogs have a limited
lifespan.   It
doesn't matter  WHAT we do, we can't make them live forever (and I've
tried!).   Dogs don't fear death and sometimes the most humane thing to do
is not
to try to "fix" them, but just to make them comfortable.

As  for the "rescue" that is breeding the GSD who has been turned in to
them, that is so awful that I can't even imagine what they're  thinking?  I

don't want to imagine that anyone could be as  irresponsible as what's
we've
read online.  I would be  interested in hearing their "side" just to  see
if
there's more to  the story.  From what was posted, I would NEVER  place the
dog,  much less breed it!  I just hope that we're only hearing  part of
the
story and what we're hearing isn't even close to being   accurate.

Julie  Degen

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org