[ SHOWGSD-L ] rescue

  • From: "Threese (Limited Edition Shepherds)" <chcohosh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:13:45 -0400

OK List here is the story on the rescue I posted about last week - can we
help this boy?

Below is the vet report. I met the dog (so gentle and loving) and this vet
on Sat. She has transported the dog to a kennel near me as she wanted him to
have an area to play in and her clinic doesn't offer that. She is paying all
his kennel fees and for all his foods and meds - she just really hopes this
boy can find a loving home to live out the rest of his life comfortably and
loved.

He was calm and very accepting of all the strangers and new surrounding -
rode well - what the vet felt was pulling on lead was hardly a tug to
explore something along the path - stopped any activity to a no/no, sat on
command and brought toys to play, laid down and rested not demanding at all.

I have some pictures I can send to anyone interested.

Hello:

The following is a summary of what I know about "Box", the GSD rescue.

Disposition/Behavior: Has proven very friendly to humans and animals as long
as not in  a kennel where he is apt to be protective. Has never been
protective in kennel with people. He seems to be very friendly; even with
strangers. Has not yet been allowed to be off leash with other dogs or cats,
but history is that he lived with a female dog. Loves leash walks; pulls
some but not out of controL Loves to gently "kiss" face and hands. Will jump
up when excited and counter surf for food but listens to commands. Very
obedient and smart. He will do anything for food. Not sure about possible
protectiveness.

around food.

Health: Limited history from previous owner. Was presented for evaluation
and even though he was very socialized, his health issues had been severely
neglected. In the exam room, he craved attention from me, and ignored his
owner, but I believe it was because they were ignoring him at home; maybe
even isolating him due to the offensive condition of the skin and ears.

1. Skin and ears: He has generalized seborrhea (oily skin and hair)
secondary to food, inhalant and flea allergy. This condition has
dramatically improved with prescription diets, baths, therapy for sarcoptic
mange and antibiotics. The left ear

has had hematoma surgery and is permanently scarred. The right ear has
chronic changes to the ear canal that may require surgery.

2. Weight and appetite: He has been diagnosed with marginal PEl which causes
him an increased appetite, large feces, and thin body condition. This has
been controlled well with diet and enzyme supplements. He is sensitive to
rawhides,

food changes and non prescription treats. Itching and diarrhea can occur.

3. "Box" has hypothyroidism that stunted his energy and contributed to the
skin condition. It is well controlled with a daily supplement.

4. He has bilateral retained testicles; a condition that the previous owner
said was not corrected. Correction for this (neutering) would require
surgery.

5. He was heartworm negative, fecal parasite negative and has been
vaccinated for distemper, leptospirosis, parvo, hepatitis, rabies and
bordatella 8/26/05

6. Medications

a. Thyroxin 0.5 mg tablets to use daily for the rest of his life.

b. Pancreatic enzymes 1 tsp. to each meal possibly for the rest of his life
but may find a diet that controls this issue.

c. Prescription ZID hypoallergenic diet has helped with skin and intestinal
issues.

d. Orbax antibiotic for temporary use for ear infection

e. Otomax topical ear medication for temporary use.

f. Metronidazole for use is stress or food change diarrhea occurs.

As you can see, this rescue combines a gentle, wonderful disposition with
special health needs. Any questions may be directed to: Dr. Laurie Leonard,
W: 434-971-3500 or H: 540456-6818.

Threese - Limited Edition Shepherds (VA)

http://members.aol.com/gsdgodiva/LTDGS.html