[ SHOWGSD-L ] repost from yesterday, education

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 07:23:21 -0800 (PST)

Well Laura, thanks for asking!!!
I was contacted by a young man who had just moved here, where he is from, and
wants to move back to there is a List member who wants him to handle.  Well I
was thinking before he steps in the ring, he should have a clue......Also there
is a family that is on their second generation of dogs and is hoping this time
both can do well in the ring.  Both dogs are nice and ought to finish, maybe
even owner handled.  And then through my DOG TRAINER'S NETWORK as a member of
the APDT I met a client of another trainer who wanted to learn to show their
Cane Corso, just accepted into the working group.
So I had collected interested parties and I thought it was time to actually
start teaching.  I am second generation show, Mom was big into it when I was
young, but never got her champions, and then again after I had my own kids, she
started buying dogs trying to get her champion again.  In Eli and his mom,
posthumously but nonetheless.  And I have a Seger half sister, now 8, old for
her lines I am sorry to say.

But having looked at the breed for so long, and having read the standard as
many

times as I have I thought if no one else in town wants to teach I will.  And I
do. Since I have worked as a "dog instructor" for 20 years now, I am very
comfortable talking to groups and giving information.

We had a great time, there were lots of great questions.  And while my one
breeding feel apart in health, to big an issue to overcome, I got some great
structure.  Liddy is an outcross, I bred to lines she did not carry closely,
but

still carried, and I got 3 types of dogs, but the male had lupus, so he is gone
already, but the two bitches are so different they don't look like the same
litter.

I have one extreme, very extreme bitch, who is also very very light, and one
squarer, but well angulated bitch who is very athletic.  Hubby and I got to
show

both an easy mover that could get air to catch a frisbee, and one outstanding
mover who can do little else, and really could have moved even better if life
were different.  All are lazy house dogs now.

It was fun, I have plans for another class in January......

sheila