[ SHOWGSD-L ] renewed faith

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:51:09 EDT

you know... just when you wonder about the entire human race news like  this
comes in.....

Subject: LSU Animal Shelter

I did not go to the Shelter  yesterday, I answered emails and telephone calls
regarding the dogs at home and  had to get some things straight here.
However, I was back there today. More  organization, new vets on the scene,
several
USPHS officers in uniforms and  fatigues. Everyone still very busy. Volunteers
walking dogs, making their  notations on the records on the dog crates. What I
failed to mention in the  first post was that every animal gets a polaroid
photo taken and it is put with  their records. This gets expensive too...do the
math !

Today we are still  receiving dogs. The building seemed inundated with
cats....the population seemed  to explode...or maybe it seems that way cause I
am a
dog person.

I had  received a concerned call from Robin Stansell at AKC. He stated that
many  crates, I think he said 1000, had been sent by AKC. Is this not
phenomenal  !  Be Proud Dog People, the System is working !  He also said AKC
had  sent
two representatives at LSU Parker Coliseum and two at the Lamar Dixon
facility in Gonzales. AKC is there for us in any support we may need. The
pharmaceutical companies have sent medicine.

I used one of the crates  today in a warm story.   A man brought a good
looking bulldog in to be  kept for a few weeks. He was from New Orleans and was
staying near Baton Rouge  somewhere but his work called him to a location in
St.
Louis and he would be  back in a couple of weeks for her. He had bred this
bitch (Maggie) a couple of  weeks ago. As the dog was being checked in by a
volunteer, I could not take my  eyes off her. I got her kennel collar ( strip
with
her name, crate number and  case number ) on and the man was trying to get the
rabies tag on her regular  collar. I got a kennel lead and it was much easier
for him to get the tags on  once off the dog. The worker said she would
probably put her in the barn. My  ears lit up !!! I don't think so, was in my
mind.
So the man took the dog in the  lobby to have the vet check her. This was one
of the new vets.. I asked her if  we could get space in the "brachycephalic
room" for her. The vet was unaware of  such a place. So off I went t!
o the air conditioned room. I had not been in  there before but knew where it
was. Pretty full with dogs and birds. I told that  vet in there we had a
bulldog and could we get her in....she said they were  really full but try
triage
area....well I knew what they would say. I went back  to the lobby. The man
said, oh that is OK she can go in the barn. I told him,  "She is NOT going in
the barn. You stay here and let me handle this. Do not move  !"  I went back
and
said that it wasn't going to work in triage and asked  if she and the
volunteer would come out and take a look at this dog. Got them  suckered right
into
that. I figured if they saw her, they would find a spot.  They went out and saw
her and the volunteer said, we will find her a spot. I got  one of those
brand new large wire crates, nice new floor and hauled it back up  front. Gave
it
to the volunteer and left the man and dog with her. Needless to  say he had
tears in his eyes when I left them and he hugged me and thanked  me.!
I checked in on "Maggie" as I was leaving this evening. She was  sound
asleep with fresh paper in her crate, a bowl of food and a bowl of  water.

The next lady was looking for a Boxer and a Am Staff that should  be kenneled
together. The owner was one of the people who had been on an  overpass a
couple of days waiting for rescue with her dogs. The lady told me the  owner
had
been taken to LSU Field House to be treated as she had been very  sunburned.
She ended up being sent to a hospital in Chicago and was to be  released to her
sister. She had given this lady the descriptions and phone  numbers. She was
trying to locate the dogs. I thought I had that one solved as I  had seen a
boxer with a terrier like dog. (The descriptions you get might not be  the same
as the standards as we know them.) But this was not the right dogs. We  search
every crate and stall in the barn. We did not find them. She left me a  card
with the description including admirable scars and her phone number.

Then the newpaper people from France came in. He wanted to see/cover  what
was happening here. When I told him that a couple of days ago we had over  800
animals, he really doubted me. That was as we were looking at the floor in  the
coliseum. These dogs are NOT packed in there. Then we went to the barn and
he said Oh I can see now. I told him you haven't even begun to see the cat
area.  I told him of the support we had gotten from the American Kennel Club.
Told
him  of the process which all of you now know. He was also impressed that
even in our  95 degree heat and many fans blowing, that there is no odor. They
recorded my  report and the barking of the dogs and meowing of the cats. Then
left.

Then a girl came to pick up her friends cat. The friend was from New
Orleans, the cat was here and the girls lived about 120 miles west of here. She
 knew
exactly where the cat was however the cat did not know her and was really
stressed. "Will bite" was on the cage. There is an area outside where all the
crates that are donated are being washed and cleaned by a crew of young people.
 What a job ! I got a crate for him but getting him in it was a major
undertaking. There are many sets of stainless crates, like in animal hospitals,
 and
he was in one of them. Had to get a "cat" vet, got the crate into a bathroom
where it was quieter. Then had to get a vet tech to help with gloves and
towel.  This fellow was ready for battle. Bottom line, he lost the battle and
is
now  reunited with his owner. This manuever took about an hour. I would imagine
the  volunteers were happy to see him on his way out !

An elderly lady has  been on the volunteer sign in desk from early til late.
She told me the first  day that she would stay and help and that she was from
New Orleans. She had no  where to stay and was sleeping in her car. The first
few nights it was in the  low 70's at night. Lots of mosquitoes. Now we are in
the high 60's at night.  There has been no breeze. She wasn't behind the desk
late today but in a metal  chair on the side and on the phone. One of the
volunteers said she "fades in and  out" and sometimes she is fine but other
times
they have a hard time with her.  They feel that she might have been in a care
facility and that maybe someone is  looking for her.

We still had many dogs come in today. I was told  yesterday was a good day
for animals checking out but check out was slow  today.

The four Min Pins are doing great. The little one I hear is still  in triage.

Southern dew as prespiration is called in the South, is no  longer. Everyone
sweats. Everyone is busy. Rumor has it that they are going to  try to get the
dogs in the barn into the coliseum. And that they were going to  put down
astro turf. Got the rumor from a worker who is there 10 hours or more a  day.
So
don't quote that. It is very dry and dusty in the rows of the barn.They  hose
is down lightly to keep the dust down. An old friend working there everyday
told me there is an area in the back where they are washing dogs. She had a man

from California send in two of those portable tubs. And they are doing some
grooming. Groomers just can't quit. They have gathered up clippers and are
busy.  One man is from New Orleans and has lost everything. No house no job. So
he told  her he wanted to groom dogs. Tonight she was taking him home to watch
football  on the tv with her family and dogs.

I will not go to LSU Saturday and  Sunday. They have many volunteers signed
in, people that want to help but also  work. I will go back on Monday when they

Thanks to  everyone's support however it is being given. Your support and
prayers for these  people are most helpful.  Again, LSU is not releasing any
animals for  foster care or adoption, only the ones given specifically for
adoption. They  have a long list of people who want to foster and/or adopt. The
veterinarian in  charge at the LSU Animal Shelter said again today, not yet.

Gloria  Mitcham Geringer #5157

Ginger  Cleary, Rome, GA
"Those who desire to give up freedom in  order to gain security, will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one."  Benjamin Franklin.
_http://www.rihadin.com_ (http://www.rihadin.com/)