[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: re - mega

  • From: Kay Reamensnyder Betty Doerpinghaus <bedkar@xxxxx>
  • To: <lonnagsd@xxxxxxx>, GSD list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 18:43:54 +0000

Actually, your description of the condition your dog had sounds more

like esophageal diverticulum (a pouch on the esophagus...called Zenkers

Diverticulum in humans).  This is not the same thing as megaesophagus.

In megaesophagus, there is lack of proper nerve innervation and perstalsis

is absent.  The absence of motility allows food, liquid, etc. to stay in the

esophagus instead of being pulled forward by rhymic contractions.

I believe the Cardiac sphincter of the stomach can also be involved.

A barium x-ray of megaesophagus shows an slmost football shaped opacity.

 -Kay Reamensnyder and Betty Doerpinghaus
 -Home of Bedkar German Shepherds
 -bedkar@xxxxx
 -Visit our Website:  www.bedkargsd.com