[ SHOWGSD-L ] :re Judges and exhibitors who have come to watch GSDs tending sheep

  • From: SUSAN SULLIVAN <susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowgsdL <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 17:41:46 -0700 (PDT)

After our last two specialties we had Bud Drew, Ellie Goede, Bob Kish, Debbie
Hokanen all ventured out inot the field to watch the dogs tend a 200'X200'
graze, with the handlers not saying a word to the dogs.  Currently I have three
Selects and a couple futurity winners as students as well as a couple others
working on their championships.
At the First Herding Institute in Portland Oregon, Kay Reamensnyder, the
Herbals, Carman Battaglia, Denny Kodner, Ann Barbash as well as many others
watched two dogs ( a Chief Cochise daughter who was 8, and a Prosecutor son who
was 9) work a graze for well over an hour.
In Raleigh, we had many others.
Actually these herding Institutes were wonderful education projects put on by
AKC.  All the herding breeds were worked either in their traditional style or
in their traditional stock, and then the PC eduction people made a classroom
presentation.  Lastly, there was a hands-on opportunity for judges to examine
dogs taht teh PC felt were closely aligned with the standard. Unfortunately the
AKC has determined that this program is too expensive...and are no longer
continuing it.
Susan

Susan w. Sullivan
Firethorn Farm