[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: racing

  • From: Sandra Kozub <skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:54:53 -0600

At 10:04 PM 1/9/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>         I'm not understanding something here.  People spend big bucks sending
>their dogs to their handler's trainers to be trained to do what ??? Obviously,
>to "take the ring", to go as fast as their legs will allow.  Loose lead or
>not,
>if we are going to complain about racing, what is the point of sending them
>out to be trained to RACE if they are not going to be rewarded for just that,
>racing.  Slow and loose----- I think not.  Maybe loose, but slow, never.  Slow
>was a command from such as Ray Smith, and he meant it, walked a class
>for an hour.  Was he able to see something that we cannot see today? Perhaps
>it was structure ?  Granted, rear extension cannot be seen at a slow speed,
>but as Evan said, it does not take many steps to see it.  Front reach can be
>seen at a walk.  So why are we paying to have the dogs trained to race the
>entire time in the ring and then complaining about it ?
>                                   Carolyn
>Carolyn McKenna
>361-293-5389

Sorry, Carolyn, I have to disagree here.   My personal preference in the
GSD, is
a long, suspended stride with a good back.   This type, if you want it to
"shine"
needs to be shown on a loose lead & at a correct speed.   No, we don't
always win - some people, some judges, love the racers & that is their
privilege.

However, the first really easy mover I had was about 20 years ago & the great
handler that showed her, showed & trained her to move as SHE needed to move.
I have employed several handlers over the years & none have just "trained my
dog to race".    A good handler knows how your individual dog looks best & will
train for that type of performance.   There are so many things that good
handlers
teach our dogs besides racing.   The dog needs to understand & be comfortable
with ring procedure, enjoy themselves & develop a "look at me" attitude,
comfortably
hold their stack & even stack themselves, etc.  Sure, there are those
handlers that
show all dogs the same & that is usually at high speeds - but, by far, NOT
all of them.

As usual, just my opinion,
Sandy
Sandra Kozub