[ SHOWGSD-L ] racing

  • From: "Carolyn McKenna" <Kennadale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsds" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 22:04:02 -0600

        I'm not understanding something here.  People spend big bucks sending
their dogs to their handler's trainers to be trained to do what ??? Obviously,
to "take the ring", to go as fast as their legs will allow.  Loose lead or not,
if we are going to complain about racing, what is the point of sending them
out to be trained to RACE if they are not going to be rewarded for just that,
racing.  Slow and loose----- I think not.  Maybe loose, but slow, never.  Slow
was a command from such as Ray Smith, and he meant it, walked a class
for an hour.  Was he able to see something that we cannot see today? Perhaps
it was structure ?  Granted, rear extension cannot be seen at a slow speed,
but as Evan said, it does not take many steps to see it.  Front reach can be
seen at a walk.  So why are we paying to have the dogs trained to race the
entire time in the ring and then complaining about it ?
                                  Carolyn
Carolyn McKenna
361-293-5389