[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: rabies vaccine

  • From: LauraEG@xxxxxxx
  • To: caretti@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:57:54 EST

In a message dated 2/18/2005 12:03:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
caretti@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Did you guys know that there is a rabies vaccine associated sarcoma in cats?
.....We had a cat that I took in for her rabies vaccination .....  It had
been about 3 years since her last one...Anyway, a couple of  weeks  after
the shot I noticed a knot on the back of her neck...Thought it was a
hematoma from the vaccination.....It grew and turned out to be a
malignancy, and we eventually had to put her down....Later, I did a search
on vaccines and cancer in cats and learned that yes, there is a cancer that
can be stimulated, for lack of a better word, by the rabies
vaccination.......Hearing the sad account of the GS bitch dying from the
rabies vac, made me think of my cat....and that although vaccinations are
necessary, they are not without risks....Thankfully, the benefits usually
outweigh the risks........
The cancer you refer to is a Fibroscarcoma, it is related to the rabies shot
and the leukemia shot.  I believe that there has been a great deal of research
into this and the formula of the rabies shot has been changed.  I had a cat
that had a Fibroscarcoma at the age of 5 and thankfully we caught it early, the
vet removed the tumor, and got clean edges all around, and I am happy to say
that the little geezer is still with us, cancer free 8 years later.

Laura Gilbert
GSDCA TC Senior Evaluator
Jo-Bar's Shepherds
Chesapeake, VA