[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: question on: Understanding the GSD Standard

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 23:17:27 -0800

Hi Evan;
The GSD Standard says that both the overshot bite and the even bite are
"undesirable".
Not a fault, but not something you breed for... like a ring tail, or not great
thick round feet,
ears a tad overset, or not the deep dark rich pigment we want...etc.    But not
a fault.
Many qualities are "not preferable"...."undesirable"....and some things ARE
"preferable"
but not DEMANDED.    Our Standard gives us "wiggle room"  on some of these less
than
perfect characteristics in our Breed by not calling them a specific fault,
minor fault or
major fault....or DQ.
The Standard is a ruler to measure an imperfect dog against perfection.   Since
we have
never seen the perfect dog... a Judge has to decide what is important against
another....
Some Judges will fault a dog as soon as they find any flaw.....some will
correctly measure
the dog against every other flawed dog in the ring according to all the other
qualities or lack
of qualities described in our Standard.
I am not a judge, I don't pretend to be a Judge and I don't intend to
Judge...but don't under
estimate most breeders who breed AKC show dogs... as they know the Standard as
well
as any judge ever will,  as do most handlers, and exhibitors.   They have to!
We have owned two different dogs with both the "undesirables" being discussed.
  BOTH
high quality animals...and won with both!    I would show a superior animal
with either of
the undesirable mentioned in this discussion.
The overbite is not seen as often ...and since it is not as common,  some
judges will really
fault it....yet, they are the same 'undesirable'.    The even bite is a problem
with  wearing
the incisors....and is often hereditary.....seen more often and therefore
accepted more.
I don't think overshot is seen as often ......and isn't hereditary  IMO
Wish we could say the same about all the missing teeth and faults of backs and
rear drive
we see today.  ( often seen in the Group Ring that some wouldn't show
'undesirable' in? )
However these two 'undesirables'  cannot be hidden with a tight leash.   <G>

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

From: showgsd-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:showgsd-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Evan Ginsburg

What does that dog's standard say about overshot jaw?
Remember, they are to be judged against their standard, and every standard has
different traits.

Evan