[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: question for the list-answer

  • From: Scharo777@xxxxxxx
  • To: irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 10:12:36 EST

Doris, I bought Fire from Caralon kennels years ago.  She is a black  and
red, and she passes her black and red color to a lot of her puppies-esp when
bred to a richly colored dog. She was not as red when she was living in the
 NorthEast, where they get less sunshine.  Her red really came back in when
 she retired to Texas ranch living.   Fire is still black & red  today at
age 11.  Her son, Ring of Fire, is probably the most  black & red adult I
have ever owned.

Now I can tell you that red pigment changes - Living in the south, our dogs
 get a LOT of sunshine.  Sunshine enriches the red pigment. Dogs that  live
totally in the house or in completely shaded runs do not seem to get as
red.  (These are my observations from my lines and from observing my  lines
and pet puppies who come back to visit from my lines ).   I have  also found
that when dogs get ready to shed, their red fades out as the hair  dies.  But
the new growth comes in richly red again.
So I believe that pigment is influenced by environment.  I think that  is
why so many are accused of dying dogs.  Yes, I do know dying happens,  but it
is not the only reason
Carol

In a message dated 11/3/2009 8:57:32 A.M. Central Standard Time,
irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
If we  have so many black and rich tan puppies, why is it there are so
many that  are not a rich tan being shown?  Where has all the pigment
gone  between puppyhood and adulthood?  Doris  E

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org