[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: question for the list... LONG

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 12:47:12 -0600

I do believe that OFA has been good for several breeds when it comes to
encouraging people to actually test. Is it perfect, no, but other than pennHip
which I don't like, it is all I have right now.

Are the statistics accurate - probably not -Eexample: I have a GSD bitch who
was going to be bred at one time - I took her in to have her hips x-rayed and
she turned up dysplastic on both hips - nothing serious, but enough so that I
as a careful responsible breeder would not breed her. Did I send the films in,
nope - not worth the $$$$$ to find out what I already knew.

We have the same problem in Dalmatians - we really don't know what the hearing
stats are in the showbred Dals (probably about 8% now) because it is too
expensive to BAER hearing test pups we know are already deaf - and it is also a
heart wrenching experience to have to hang onto the deaf pups until they are
old enough to test...

All these things are strictly tools - maybe not perfect, but it is what we have
right now and it is up to responsible breeders to take advantage of what is out
there!

Jessica MacMillan
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC, TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)
Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/