[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: question for the list... LONG

  • From: Scharo777@xxxxxxx
  • To: vande001@xxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:26:43 EST

Aww Cynthia.  You raise so  many questions.

Yes, I believe that serious, concerned breeders are producing a higher rate
 of OFA dogs today than 20 years ago.  On the other hand, back yard
breeders may not.

Only two types of animals get X-ray.  Serious concerned breeders who  want
to see what they have, and then only those who look pretty good are sent to
OFA.  OR dogs in pain at a vet's office and the vet wants OFA's  opinion.

Until we get DNA evidence for hips, X-rays are the only tool we have to
work with.

I was taught years ago by Pat and Scootie that since the genes for bad hips
 are recessive and probably poly-genetic, it will be almost impossible to
breed  it out completely.  What is helping in our kennel, which of course is
very  small, is we have reached our first goal of at least 3 generations of
good hips  in all our breeding animals.
And we try to breed to the same.

  We x-rayed 9 animals last year at the same time and all but one  either
OFAed good or pre-limed good.  Does that mean that we cannot have an  animal
pot up who has bad hips??
NO!  It can still happen.  But our incidence is greatly  reduced.  The one
bitch who did not OFA had 6 week old puppies and our vet  thinks she was
just still loose and that we should re-submit.

OFA is giving us a tremendous amount of information now on their  website.
You can put in a dogs AKC or OFA number and pull up the OFA  history of his
ancestors for 3 generations, or of his siblings, or of his  progeny.  Try
_www.offa.org_ (http://www.offa.org)

Carol Moore

In a message dated 11/16/2009 11:45:37 A.M. Central Standard Time,
vande001@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Ibut in  my mind it is still a crap shoot.