[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: question for the list... LONG

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: tanbarkgsd@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:41:12 EST

amen, chris!  and thanks - i do believe that sound hips and elbows are
important but it is NEVER wise to throw the baby out with the bathwater.   the
bitch i spoke of in my original post had horrendous hips - too frightening
to chance passing on.  BUT, if i have a litter and 80% or better OFA good
or better, you bet i am going to breed a borderline sibling.  i know we've
hashed the subject to death before but i really believe it's important to
evaluate a total breeding, not just one aspect.
jmo - flame away
diane

Diane  Silver-Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
_http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com

In a message dated 11/17/2009 1:35:19 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
tanbarkgsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Back to  the wonderful post below.  This bitch brought so much to the table
that  it is a shame she could not pass those traits to puppies.  Now I
totally  agree not breeding her, but there are others that are taken out of
breeding  programs that have good attributes (such as living to 16 1/2)!!!!
great  temperament etc etc etc.   So much emphasis has been put on hips  that
other issues have crept in that are more detrimental to the dogs  well being
than HD.  I know I'm preaching to the choir to most, just  thought it was
worth mentioning and perhaps passing on to some of  the puppy buyers that are
too keyed in on hip status.  I  try to educate as many people as I can via
emails and phone calls, not all  just prospective buyers.  But until we get
the veterinary community  to understand some of these points, it's like
talking in the  wind.

_ (http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com/)