[ SHOWGSD-L ] question for the list... LONG

  • From: Cynthia VanDenBerge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Show GSD List <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 09:43:36 -0800 (PST)

I read with interest Barbara's blog last week about HD.  It started me thinking
about x-rays and HD and if there is really been any improvement over the
years?  What do you all think?  I am not against x-rays and I do x-ray my dogs,
but in my mind it is still a crap shoot.  Do you think OFA (or PenHip or
whatever) has improved or reduced the incidence of HD in our beloved dogs?  I
have been around for over 35 years now and, believe me, I have seen it all as
far as HD is concerned.  I had a puppy once from Henrietta Bauer who was a
repeat of a 100% OFA certified litter, All dogs on both sides as far back as
you could go were certified (most excellent after they started the ratings) and
yet my poor little puppy had the worst hips I have ever seen!  Anyone who knew
Henrietta knows that she was "rabid" about hips, so it wasn't for lack of
trying.  This was a long time ago, but I still think it would hold true today.
Have we improved hips by all of our x-raying or are we just filling the coffers
of vets and the OFA?  Again, I am not saying that we should stop x-raying.
After all, it is the only tool we have right now.  But, I don't know about you,
no matter how good the parents or pedigree are, I still sit on pins and needles
for that first year until I can get a prelim done.
What do you all think?  Frankly, I would love for someone out there to offer
some good news and tell me that I am all wet and things are better.  One thing,
I don't put too much stock in stats from the OFA because I do not think they
are truly represenative of what is actually happening.  If the stats say that
there are more certified hips today than 10 years ago, that tells me that more
people are not wasting their time and $$ by sending in x-rays that won't pass.
Just a thought.  Cynthia