[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: question for candidates

  • From: DestinoGS1@xxxxxxx
  • To: cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx, TISHW@xxxxxxx, Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:20:29 EDT

Great post.  In order to grow, the "specialty club" which means we
specialize in German Shepherd Dogs, all clubs need to recognize every venue
that
our breed participates in.  Don't know where you live, but here in Atlanta
you are welcome, no matter what you do.  Our club meetings are a mix.   We do
AKC obedience, agility, rally, herding, conformation, and yes  schutzhund.
The schutzhund  working people have "import" show lines  and one is doing
it with an American champion.  A couple of us have both  imports and American
bred.  We respect each other, the venues that each  participates in, and
each others dogs.  No division here.  We can also  show a newcomer how to
"stand" the import for the German style conformation  show.  It is all
different, but it all works together.

Mary Gattone,

44 yrs. American conformation ring and two Sch H III dogs.

In a message dated 8/12/2009 9:34:19 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Stormy,
Your ideas and suggestions are great, however when a club  has these people
as members and continues to insult their "German" dogs or  "pet quality"
performance dogs or constantly reminding the membership that "we  are a
"Breed" club, people are turned off. When a Specialty club's board is
monopolized
by conformation people who really don't give a hoot about the  concerns of
the performance people, they will leave. A split board works  better! When
you have a Membership Chair that screens calls of potential new  members and
finds they have a non conformation type dog and states this club  is not for
you, you are heading for destruction. The term "Specialty" as  defined by
the AKC means breed specific. Not conformation only. Breed specific  means
all types that are registered as that breed, not just the ones that are  shown
in the conformation ring. These people, when they are members, want to  be
a part of the club, work the events, take pride in their club, but
they  also want equal representation from their board, they want to have
equal say  in what happens within their club and they should! So until this
very old  mentality has been buried and a union of all aspects of the breed
becomes  welcomed with no prejudice, you will see more and more people going
elsewhere  and more Specialty clubs going under. Why are some people like
this? I can't  answer for them, however I do know that when someone feels
threatened or  paranoid and not comfortable in their own skin, they will try to
control by  any means and that controlling is the road to a dead end. Are all
clubs like  this? No. But I think there are way too many that are or there
are too many  people that express these things, be it ring side or even on
the list. If you  don't have something positive to say, then don't say
anything. Are people  entitled to their opinions? Yes, but not at the expense
of
others if they want  things to work out as a whole. This is just my
opinion from what I have  seen and heard.
Lyn Chernak   ~ CherLyn Shepherds ~  Three  Generations ~ GSDCA 13 Club ~
Membership     CherLyn's Dixie,  BH, CDX, RAE, TC, HIC, CGC