[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: question for Clubs & candidates

  • From: "Sue Mazzeo" <Sue.Mazzeo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l digest users" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:49:40 -0700

Lyn,

I'm not quite sure what you are disagreeing with in Carolyn's post.  It was
quite accurate for GSDC Sacramento Valley.  She just didn't include all of the
performance that we have sponsored over the years.  We have done tracking tests
and CGC tests in addition to Obedience/Rally at the shows and the previous
herding trials.  And we are about to apply for our first WDS trial.

Our current membership includes a member who is heavily involved in SchH but
also does Obedience, Rally, Tracking and Conformation with her German style
dogs.  Do we all agree on what we want in a GSD?  Absolutely not, (not even
among the 'conformation' people) but we do have some interesting discussions
because everyone is willing to listen without putting anyone else's dog down.

We have always over the years kept the obedience and now rally with our
conformation show.  And worked very hard to make both rings equal in trophies
and every other way possible.

A lot  of the conformation dogs in our club also do other things whether it is
herding, agility or obedience.  The current dogs with CHs in front of their
names are almost all working toward adding the balance at the other end with a
performance title.

I've had a theory for years that whenever people put on a set of blinders and
only see one aspect of the breed, they are doomed to loose what attracted they
to the breed in the first place.  Because with any breed, it takes the right
combination of breed type, soundness, temperament and working ability to make
it what it is supposed to be.  If you concentrate on only one aspect and ignore
the others, you will loose the other aspects.  And that applies to the
conformation orientated person as well as the performance orientate person.

Enjoy training and competing with your dogs, it's a wonderful feeling to earn
titles.  But please don't write off the conformation as it is also necessary
for the dogs to be successful.

Sue Mazzeo
Heiterhaus Celesta CDX TDX TC
Mar Haven's Ante Up NA OAC NJC NGC
Skansen's Career Girl CD TD, Can CD
Mar Haven's Orchid Serenade
(CH Mar Haven's Last Cowboy Song ex GV CH Mar Haven's Black Orchid) Watch for
her next spring in conformation!

From: Lyn Chernak <cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: question for Clubs & candidates
Carolyn,
You are correct in your example of recipe for failure. And yes, most clubs are
conformation people. But at that point I will agree to disagree with other
comments made. After considerable thought given to this discussion (and some
private emails) I have decided that my time and energy would be more beneficial
to training my dogs for upcoming Trials and the National. Only time will give
way to the actions of those in authority, be it a club, an organization or
group.

Lyn Chernak   ~ CherLyn Shepherds ~  Three Generations ~ GSDCA 13 Club ~
Membership     CherLyn's Dixie, BH, CDX, RAE, TC, HIC, CGC