[ SHOWGSD-L ] pyometria

  • From: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 07:41:18 -0800 (PST)

    Good morning.  And that it truly is.
  Thanks to all of you who sent advice for treatment, encouragement, and
  well wishes for Dazzle.  She is doing well and apparently recovering.
  I will give the protocol for any who might need it in the future, though I
  hope no one ever does.
       She was sonogramed to verify the diagnosis, then given a shot of
  the hormone  Prostaglanden  twice a day for several days.  This causes
  the uterus ( and everything else ) to contract and flush out the contents,
  in this case, the infection.  She is also on baytril and cyphlexin for an
  extended period.  She must be bred at her next heat.
        I would like to know how they contract this infection.  Ironically,
  Dazzle must have contracted it at the show as she was finishing, since
  that was when she was in season.
        Thanks again for all your help.         Carolyn

http://mail.yahoo.com