[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: puppy training and the GSD

  • From: Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "genoaktortoise@xxxxxxxxxxx" <genoaktortoise@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "arcturusgermanshepherds@xxxxxxxxx" <arcturusgermanshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 10:00:34 -0700 (PDT)

As many of you know, this (positive only) is the new trend in obedience
training.  I really do not think it is the way to go for gsd puppies!  It is
like the permissive parenting that resulted in "the entitlement generation"
that teachers and employers struggle with today.  I don't want to see my puppy
buyers raising gsds that feel "entitled" to bite them, jump up on them, pull
them down the street, run wild because they feel like it, etc.  While I did not
spank my children, and don't beat my dogs, I do enforce boundaries and limits.
Biting me is never allowed.  Rule # 1.  If a puppy is not biting me at the
moment, and I give it a cookie, am I teaching the puppy not to bite me?  I
doubt it.  I thank Sue for her post about this.  The last thing we need is more
gsds in rescue for undue aggression!

Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
www.riverrockgermanshepherds.com
Generations of Dually-Titled Champions
and Protective Companions for a Changing World

http://showgsd.org/mail.html