[ SHOWGSD-L ] puppy questions

  • From: EJDegen@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:25:05 EST

I have a friend with a litter of Border Collie puppies.  She whelped  and is
raising the litter for someone else.  We're a lot more familiar  with the
"herding" line Border Collies (which is what we both have), but this is  a
"show
line" (like from Australia) bitch.  One of the puppies in the  litter is
SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than the others.  When they were born, she  was just a
couple
of ounces smaller, but she's now 1/3 the size of the others  (or less).  She's
a strong nurser, her eyes opened just a day later than  the others and she's
beginning to toddle around and bark like the others  do....only she's tiny.
The puppies are now 17 days old.

Question #1:  What is the earliest that you supplement feeding?   This a.m.,
after the puppy was done nursing, Janet mixed up a little esbilac,  water, and
ID.  The puppy LOVED it and wanted more.  Janet is  considering doing this
after the puppy has nursed to just try and get more into  her.....any comments?

Are they still too young?

Question #2:  Does anyone know if pituitary dwarfism runs in  Australian-type
border colies?  None of our herding friends that breed BCs  have ever had it,
but the Australian dogs are TOTALLY different....looks &  genetics.

I know these aren't GSDs, but figured this group had the most knowledge of
any group that *I* know :-)

Thanks!

Julie  Degen
ejdegen@xxxxxxx
www.caissonkennels.com
Dogs are not our  whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger  Caras