[ SHOWGSD-L ] puppy mills, puppy buyers

  • From: "Arcturus" <Arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 21:21:28 -0400

Many of the people who wrote in response to the puppy mill thread mentioned it
is the irresponsible owners who contribute hugely to this. I agree
wholeheartedly with this one.  Every breed club on the internet has information
on how to buy a purebred puppy from a reputable breeder,  just about every
kennel club, every obedience club, and every rescue organization does too.  The
breed and kennel clubs I belong to put out tons of information on the purchase
and raising of puppys, not to mention spend alot of time and effort doing it.
Most dog shows you go to have an information booth. Many kennel clubs run adds
in the pets for sale column in the newspaper offering reputable breeder
contacts.
  ON the other hand, the commercial kennels I see going in around here ( amish
puppy mill country) are getting bigger and bigger...hundreds of puppies per
year.  Obviously the commercial breeders are selling puppies.  I don't have any
answers,  but it sure doesn't seem like our message is getting out.
  Yesterday,  I spent a couple of hours keeping a friend company in the waiting
room at her Vets office. She was waiting for her champion Boston Terrier to
have a semi-emergency C-section.  While we were there, a couple came in with
their obviously BYB-bred Lab. ( Narrow skull, tail over the back ect.)  The dog
pulled them in the door, nails curled and sliding on the floor.  They announced
to the receptionist their dog hadn't eaten for three days, was vomiting brown
fluid, had swollen glands and his pee was orange.  ( Lepto?)  The dog pulled
them across the waiting room and then tried to lift his leg on a chair. They
finally sat down and repeatedly told the dog to sit, Sit, SIT!  Which he of
course, ignored.  They let the dog go up to every other dog in the place and
sniff noses. When he came up to my friend and I, we both leaned back and
crossed our arms over our chests. The guy seemed insulted and pulled the dog
back.  The only thing I could think of was how many people sitting there were
thinking how "bad" large breed dogs are. Thank goodness it wasn't a GSD. When
my friend went back to see her new puppies,  I spoke to the people about
keeping thier dog next to them so he wouldn't make any of the other dogs sick.
They seemed surprised at this.  Sigh....SueT