[ SHOWGSD-L ] puppy mills

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd list <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 16:43:14 -0400

from Judges-L, with permission..........shared by Peggy
Not to beat a dead horse, but,the term is used by AR people to apply to US. The
COMMERCIAL kennels ARE legal and will NOT be affected by
AB 1634.  They are in the correct zoning, are inspected, pay a business
license, and owe no sales tax- they are wholesalers. I think we need to
re-think our terminology; delete "puppy mills" from our vocabulary and replace
with Commercial Breeders", who produce a "cash crop" for sale", while the
"Hobby Kennels/Breeders" produce very few litters, and TAKE the animals back,
for any reason, if the home doesn't work out. WE are the one who rescue from
the shelters.

Another misnomer is the "pit bull mix".  It is Either a Pit Bull OR it is a
MIX!  Not both. You either have a Boxer, Newfie, Cavalier, whatever, or you
have a  Mix. The Shelters don't know the Mix composition, only what they think
it may look like.

When we use the wrong terms, we play into their hands. The Commercial Kennels
and the Dog Auctions in the videos we see, are all LEGAL. And THAT'S the
scariest part of all. We are the ones they will "be rid of". In 1 generation.
If you can have 1 intact dog and bitch, bred ONCE in their lifetime, then
Neutered; with the Get GIVEN away(can't even keep a puppy for yourself), with
the new owners identified, and the get neutered..... we are lost.....

Lani McKennon