[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: puppy death

  • From: "Jane Kerner" <jkerner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:44:28 -0500

Thanks to Amy for a  thoughtful reply, advise, and for making some wise
observations......
Folks on the list, however long and expert they are as breeders, may not be
able to make a valid diagnosis via *e-mail*..............especially when the
situation is dire and may call for immediate medical attention.

And knowing whether a situation is an "emergency" or not is also a judgment
call.

Obviously one dead pup and one failing pup calls for some rapid response.

And Donna responded. She  reached out to this List and its' breeders as a
resource for information and help.

(Maybe she didn't have a "breeder friend" nearby to call).

So asking the List really was one of the *right things* she could do in the
circumstance which confronted her.

But even if the folks responding to her search for help are correct, we are
still not able to actually *see* the pups, which may or may not call the
comments we might make into question..........

We are, after all, not veterinarians, and are not licensed to practice
veterinarian medicine, nor do we usually have the diagnostic equipment
sometimes necessary to be accurate in *some* cases.

We can only *suggest* a list of possibilities.

We *can*, based on  experience, only offer what we would do and then share with
others what action we have taken when confronted with similar challenges.

The breeders/fanciers on this wonderful list has and does offer a vast combined
collection of knowledge and information which they are ready and eager to share
with one another.

 We are willing, and certainly *are* trying to assist one another especially
without being hurtful.

The discussion as regards Albon as a possible remedy for pano would be a case
in point.

The information shared on this matter has been very helpful, but it is, at
best, confined to personal experience and  is possibly anecdotal in nature.
Even vets have varying opinions about it.

(I, for one, have had a good experience in using Albon for pano. But I have no
documented scientific proof that the drug Albon works better or worse than
Meta-Cam, for instance, as a solution.)

Here is one suggestion for the future before whelping a litter:
Buy and read:

Successful Dog Breeding, The Complete Handbook of Canine Midwifery.

Authors: Chris Walkowicz and Bonnie Wilcox DVM

Here is a second suggestion:

Make friends with an old timer breeder you can call via phone any time of day
or night.

So then, what to do when one of your puppies dies.......and another is failing?

Not much time to ponder then.

Most of us pray...........and act at the same time.

I hope Donna will keep on asking the folks on this list for information and
help.

 That help can be, and often is, invaluable.

It really was *one* of the very *right things* she could do.

But e-mail has its limitations.

Those limitations are some of the reasons we all include symbols and smiley
faces in our emails. It is so easy to misunderstand one another when using  the
computer to convey our  intent and emotions.

The catechism I studied so long ago reminds us that we are called upon to "put
the best construction on things" when responding to and making observations
about our family, friends and neighbors.

So kudos to both Amy and Donna.........

To Donna for asking and Amy for answering wisely.

Let's all keep on keeping on........

And remember what Winston Churchill once remarked:

"Never,never,never,never give up."

Jane Kerner