[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: puppy agreement questions

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 08:56:32 -0500

I have actually placed a couple of girls with the stipulations you mention
(someone wants a showdog, but doesn't want to breed) and actually, my younger
GSD girl is on a similar co-ownership agreement.

When it comes to the leasing, you can either pay money to lease the bitch -
usually the cost of a showpup in Dals, or offer the 2nd pick pup in exchange..
Some people are ready for another showdog by the time you do the litter.

Our contract is a co-ownership contract (for my younger GSD), but we have the
chance at 2nd pick pup as our first GSD is almost 9 years old.

Yes, the person leasing would be responsible for ALL the bills related to the
breeding/the litter - health, food, etc. If it is a local bitch I am leasing, I
do the breedings and then send her home for the duration of her pregnancy (pay
for her food, etc). I usually get them about 2 weeks before the whelping and
then they are my responsibility for the next however long.

For long distance leases, I keep the bitch for the period of time specified.

Also make sure to put in my contracts that if something should happen to the
bitch while in my possesion (or if I am leasing a bitch to someone) that there
is no liability. That is when things get the ugliest - somethng happens to the
bitch and a lawsuit breaks out... No amount of money will ever replace the
bitch, so why even go there. Many people will disagree with me on this idea,
but it has always worked well.

Make sure EVERYTHING is in writing... that way everyone knows where they stand..

BTW: Like Kathy's situation, I have let people raise pups and pay for the
bills, but I prefer to do it myself as I get to know the pups better and I know
what I am dealing with for temperaments, especially on Dal pups. Something that
also works well and I am hoping can be done with my young GSD bitch is doing
the whelping and raising the pups for 6 - 7 weeks and then sending them to live
with the co-breeders so they can evaluate them, etc... Change of scenery is
excellent socializing for the babies and then my dog doesn't have to go
anywhere :-)  But then, if she does, I know she'll love it there too.

JMHO
Jess M.Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC,
TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC
E-mail for the greater good. Join the i?m Initiative from Microsoft.