[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: promoting the breed?????

  • From: Mary-Anne <versatilegsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:35:14 -0500

I agree with Kathy and Carolyn.  As a non-'show' GSD owner ( and a coated
one to boot), I absolutely love taking my boy out in agility class as my
'demo' dog.  My students ooh and aah at his versatility.  However, the first
question I always get is - "Well that's not a German Shepherd, he must be a
mix with a Collie?" - So I start on my spiel about GSD's throwing long coats
occasionally and show them the photos of his short coated mother, brother
and sister.  With kids, they dive into his coat and the mothers are all
smiling until they ask what he is.  Once they find out that he is a GSD,
there is first consternation in their face and then acceptance.  The GSD has
earned a reputation as a fearsome police dog or a neighbourhood terror.
Each time I take Magnum in public, I convert another person.  Since 'pet'
people buy the puppies that don't end up in the show ring, we want them to
know that these are truly the family dogs that everyone wants.  We also want
them to know that these dogs (if raised properly) can do anything from
leading the blind, bringing home the sheep, tracking the lost child,
cuddling up when you're blue to keeping unwanted personnel off your property
just by being there.
As an agility instructor, I have brought 3 people in my area to the 'dog'
world and they are now involved in 'showing'.  One in German SV type and two
in CKC All Breed (and hopefully I can drag them to the Nationals soon).  I
have involved many more than that in agility, obedience and tracking (my
true loves since I don't have a show quality GSD ...yet).  I have many
friends who were terrified of GSD's who are Magnum's love slaves.  The more
that the public meets dogs like our kids, the better the reputation becomes
and hopefully BEFORE the breed specific legislation adds the German Shepherd
to the list.

Mary-Anne
C C Mistral of Waldenridge CGN CD TD AGN RE RA(CL) TEC HIC SGDC 26 June
2001-1 August 2010
Tersha's Magnum Force CGN PCD CD TDX UTD AGN AGNJ AGNJS RE RN(CL) N-TDX TEC
HIC

  From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Wednesday,
December 22, 2010 5:29 AM
  Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] promoting the breed?????

  John are you implying that only Specialty shows promote the  breed?  How
sad.
  (Normally I would say misguided, myopic, ill  informed and just plain
wrong but I'm trying
  to be nice here.)

  If I take a walk in the local park this afternoon with a beautiful puppy
to  socialize it and run
  into a half dozen people who oooohhhh and ahhhhhh  over my  beautiful,
correct, well
  groomed puppy, petting it and ENJOYING the  experience as we chat and
perhaps I answer
  their questions, I am promoting the  breed.  If I take a dog to my
nephew's sporting events and
  end up with a  crowd of children and adults loving on my dog, THAT is
promoting the  breed.
  If my state federation needs a speaker at a school  to talk  about dogs
and I share one of my
  beautiful, well mannered dogs, THAT is  promoting the breed.  For God's
sakes, when I take
  a dog to the vet for a  rabies booster and they sit quietly in the waiting
room, oblivious to the
  chaos  around them and welcoming an admiring pat, THAT is promoting the
breed.

  If I take my beautiful, correct dogs to AKC all breed events, allowing
anyone and everyone who
  wants to pet and love on them, I am promoting the  breed.  I've sent a
special into  the ring with
  red with red white and  blue cotton candy stuck in his coat left there
seconds before by a tiny
  hand...proof that I NEVER say "no" when someone asks if they can pet my
dog,  It's NEVER a
   bad time, it's NEVER inconvenient...that my friend is promoting the
breed.

  And I agree with Penny.  The all breed events are where you find the
majority of "non GSD"
  spectators.
  Tell you what...breed healthy, correct, beautiful dogs that you can  take
anywhere, anytime for
  admiring hands to touch.  You'll be promoting  the breed.

  Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

  In a message dated 12/22/2010 8:04:53 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
  ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

  A GOOD  DOG can be shown in both rings.  Most dogs I've shown have been
able to do
  that and ALL should.  You talk about the all breed ring  as  a separate
entity;  it is NOT.
  I can't tell you the  number of times  I've been approached by shepherd
people and OTHER
  fanciers who  congratulate me for the wins or just to tell me that  they
like my  dog!  More
  breeders and a lot more spectators see  our dogs at all  breed shows.  If
that doesn't
  promote the  breed, I don't know what does!

  Penny in  NC

  And  I am kind of lost by showing your dog at an all breed ring, how  does
that help promote
   the ring?  It helps the AKC make money, but how   does it promote the
breed compared
   to a specialty?   Does it have   specialties for the gs, does AKC have
other venues for strictly
   the  GS?           NO!!     WeSo tell me how does it promote the breed?

  John  Garnett