[ SHOWGSD-L ] positive response on s/n

  • From: Connie <vallesaladogsd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-l" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 16:13:15 -0700

See email below from a rescue person in MN in response to someone circulating a
petition for mandatory spay/neuter .
I got an email with a request to sign a petition for mandatory S/N and myself
and three others wrote back , three of us were opposed to mandatory s/n and one
for it . Here is the response from a girl in MN . I am starting to see a lot
more of this kind of response in the rescue community so I guess we are
starting to make a little headway .
Connie Palmer Williams - Executive Director
German Shepherd Rescue of Central Colorado Inc.
..."I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep"...Robert Frost
 www.GSDRColorado.com

permission was given to cross post .

Sorry - too much gov for me.  I don't want homeless animals euthanized
anymore than any other rescuer, but to insist on mandatory government
regulations to spay and neuter your animal is not the answer.  When
government gets in control of your animals, the only one that will
benefit is the government agency that will enforce it.  A grass roots
educational approach is best, allowing the pet owner the freedom of
choice based on understanding the issues.  It has already shown great
progress, in that many more people today understand the need to
spay/neuter and willingly do so without compromising their freedom of
choice.

It is always tempting to go to government when there is a problem to
find the answer there, but no government official has the right to tell
me what to do with my pet's reproductive organs today and I don't want
them coming to my house to threaten me in the future.  Now pit bulls
with no history of aggression of any kind, can be taken away by
government officials to be euthanized because of stupid breed bans.
This is a disaster and allows a good dog to be ripped away from it's
owner.  This is OUTRAGEOUS and I can't believe that I'm not hearing
more complaints about this loss of freedom.  Many of our parents, and
grandparents died to protect our rights and freedoms and we are just
letting this one go by without complaint.

More government authority telling us what to
do with our pets is a bad
idea.  It is big brother knocking on our door and we are willingly
letting him in if we agree to this.  I treasure the welfare of dogs and
cats and want what's best for them, but stripping the owner of one more
freedom of choice is a slippery slope and will take us closer to a
government controlled life.  This has been written about in books like
Brave New World, 1984, Animal Farm and Clockwork Orange.  When I read
these as a much younger person, I thought they were bizarre depictions
of a world that would never happen in my lifetime.  But as I get older
I see many things that are leading me to remember these writings with
newfound respect for the wisdom in their warnings.

Let's encourage government to enforce the laws already on the books
that make animal abuse illegal.  We can't seem to stop the abuse of
animals very well, although there have been strides lately in stopping
dog fighting rings and shutting down puppy mills.  But we have a long
way to go in that area and the legal authorities need to be encouraged
to do their job to protect our animals without compromising our
freedoms in the process.  Educating the public with accurate statistics
and offering low cost spay and neutering is working and we aren't
compromising our freedom of choice, which is precious to me.

Your comments are welcome.

Kim Cook
Blue Sky Rescue of Minnesota