[ SHOWGSD-L ] position paper

  • From: "frank fasano" <f.fasano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ShowGSD04" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:59:17 -0500

What I did last time:  1. Made a successful motion for a  business  assessment
and comparison of show sites- Debbie H has done a great job the last two years
in that                                     regard
                                2. Was against limitations on Selects
                                3. Supported show sites that are dog friendly-
i.e. stalls , easy to drive, ground floor access to dogs being shown-close
hotels
                                4. Addressed potential liability with WDA
demonstrations at our National Show- voted to bring WDA back into the fold
                                5. Helped Helen Gleason get the health link up
and going- I think you will be impressed
                                6. Confronted how some Judges - Specialty and
All Breed -miss apply the loose lead evaluation
                                7. Helped with the Mentoring program and keep
stressing that we need new members
                                8. Will be voting No on the current draft of
the Illustrated Standard
What I want to do:    1. Make the circle bigger- shows more accessible so we
have larger entries-include more disciplines and thereby bring more people to
the sport-                               include people who volunteer, spread
some of the power and take advantage of our membership's talents.
                               2. Find ways to bring in new members, our groups
demographics are aging fast- we need new blood, advertise where we may attract
new members.                                 If we do not our sport will die
even if Peta and PAWS don't kill us.
                               3. Support dog friendly show sites with stalls
and ground access to the dogs being shown, less frills more thrills- shortening
the show
                               4. Location Location Location- shows that rotate
slightly east , west , central but not on a coast-  as airlines have
                                indicated a reluctance to transport our friends
driving may become the sole way to get to shows and we need to ensure that we
can get enough                                     quality dogs to the shows.
By bringing show sites in from coastal locations we maximize the number of
exhibitors that can drive. While everyone
one would love to have a National in their back yard- I doubt that you all
would want to come to Iowa- we have to put the access of dogs ahead of
                           our personal desires. I do not however favor one
site - nor do I think we should own a site. If we find several sites we like,
booking them for                                             multiple years
would likely get us better contracts.
                                5. Get the Review current. We need a concrete
plan to get caught up. Even if this means more support staff for a short period.
                                6. A business like approach to our
organization, stressing openness, communication, and accountability to the
members.
                                7. Address the declining entries and prestige
of  wins at the Futurities- either reduce the number of Futurities or the
number of plaques                                                     awarded.
With less than four dogs being shown in many classes we need to assess why we
give each dog a plaque.