[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: politics and the specialty ring

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:54:03 -0500

    I really hate to revisit this topic, but I received a private post
saying that I was insulting the breeders and dogs of the past.
    No insult was intended...I know that the really good dogs we have
now go right back to the great ones of the past, some of whom I remember
well, others I only know by name.  Of course, so do most of the poor
quality dogs.  It isn't the pedigree alone that makes a good dog, as the
person who wrote me knows well...it is the breeder and then the owner
who makes the choice of what to do with each dog that's bred.  Some stud
dogs are used on not-so-hot bitches, and the resulting offspring may or
may not be something to be proud of...not everything sired by Mr.
Wonderful is equally wonderful...sometimes not even close.
    As to my backing up Tom C's post about dogs being shown extensively
and not getting anywhere and then getting a new handler and winning big,
yes, I know to whom Tom was referring.  Personally, I was thinking of
the conversations to which I've been privy, in which owners of dogs who
have been with the owner (not all of whom are bad handlers at all) or a
less than top rate handler have discussed how to get a big name handler
on the dog.  Sometimes these owners have been successful...and if they
can get that dog to the National with a big name handler, they can even
get a Select on a dog or bitch that may have been shown for a long time
without getting a point.  I will say it right here...I was not thinking
of Jimmy specifically, although of course he fits right into that
scenario...IF YOU CAN GET HIM TO HANDLE FOR YOU!!!   The last time I
asked him about taking a bitch to the National was years ago...he was
committed to his regular clients so our girl went with her usual handler
and got a Select anyway.  No, my name wasn't on her, so don't bother to
look it up.  She was by GV Aspen out of a CH  Zeto daughter, herself not
titled but an ROM bitch.
    To infer that I meant to insult the dogs of the past is silly, to
say the least.  I am aware that Scoop, for example, has a pedigree that
goes directly to Lance (thru his lines to the Eko-lan dogs and others up
closer) and to the beautiful Waldesruh Shepherds -- if you take Scoop's
pedigree back a few generations you realize he never would have existed
at all without the intelligent breedings done by some of our very best
breeders.  The number of GVs and GVXs in Scoop's pedigree is a testament
to the best breeders of our time.  Why would I insult the dogs of the
past when the only dogs I have ever had anything to do with all go
directly back to the very best dogs that existed during my lifetime?
    The discussion was to politics in judging and the differences in
quality between dogs shown in the AB and specialty rings.  How anyone
could make that into an insult to dogs and handlers is a mystery to me,
but it happened.  No insults were intended to anyone except maybe, just
maybe, to judges that are political in their placements.
    The comment to me included these words "The overwhelming number of
Ch.s that come strictly from the all breed ring are like assembly line
trash ...."
    Perhaps I have been lucky in that the majority of the dogs I see in
either arena are dogs that go back and forth between the specialty ring
and the AB rings...this is not to say that I haven't seen "assembly line
trash" in both rings.
The lack of quality has little to do with the individual dog's
ancestry...rather with the way the ancestry has been handled.  No dog
ever existed who didn't sire some dogs that weren't "quite," but not all
the owners (or handlers) know the difference.  Neither do all the
judges, no matter in which ring they stand.
Peggy