[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: politics and judging

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gsdjudge@xxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 18:45:37 -0700 (PDT)

sorry Bud...I agree with Laurie..it happens all the time.......Ed
Gsdjudge@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 6/5/2005 6:05:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
pruett@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Some very knowledgable breeder judges allow their decisions to be swayed by
who
owns the animal, who is standing outside of the ring doubling the dog, who is
handling the animal, or who put up that dog (or the judge's dog) last. In
those cases,

I'm usually just a lurker but i had to respectfullypost an answer to Lauries
assesment of why specialty shows are getting smaller. I don't have an answer
to the problem but as a judge for 30 years and a german shepherd
enthusiast,breeder and exhibitorfor over 45 years, i can only think of one or
two
instances where politics have influenced a judges decision. I strongly believe
that
almost all judges are honest and put up the dogs they think closest fits
their interpretation of the standard.Granted a lot of times professioal
handlers
go up but lets face it, most do the time they have the best dogs or the type
of dog that they know the judge likes.I've had handlers that hadn't shown
under me and didn't know what i liked. THey lost big time but the next time
under me they knew exactly what to show and made a clean sweep. That's one
reason why they are professionals and get paid.I think it is a lack of
knowledge
and understanding of our breed standard that causes some judges to make bad
decisions not lack of ethics. JMHO Bud

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original