[ SHOWGSD-L ] police dog killed in Atlanta

  • From: "pmick12" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:21:16 -0500

POLICE DOG KILLED
ATLANTA
November 11, 2009
Reward up to $6,000 for information about police dog killing

The Atlanta Humane Society added $5,000 to the reward fund for information
that leads to the arrest of the person who shot and killed a Griffin Police
Department German Shepherd and then dumped the dog in a ditch beside a Lamar
County Road.

The dog?s handler, Griffin police Cpl. Chad Moxon, and his family had
already put up $1,000 so the reward now stands at $6,000 with the Humane
Society's offering.

After getting home from the firing range on Monday, Moxon discovered Jimi
and his dog Yeager missing from their kennel at his house on a dirt road in
Lamar County.

"The gate looked like it had been tampered with, and there were tire tracks
leading up to the gate, going across my back yard," Moxon said Friday. "I
can't say for 100 percent that someone came in there and took the dogs, but
I do believe that's what happened. "

Moxon said he searched all Monday night and most of Tuesday night for the
German Shepherds. He handed out about 300 flyers and followed up on several
false alarms from people who thought they had spotted them.

Moxon got a call Wednesday morning that Jimi may have been found in a ditch
on Rock Quarry Road near the Monroe County line. Moxon said there was little
blood at the scene so he suspects the 3-year-old dog was dumped there after
he was shot in the side. The vet found buckshot in the wound.

"I just sat down in the ditch for the next 30 minutes. I didn?t have the
energy to get him out," Moxon said.

Shortly after he got home a neighbor called with the news that Yeager was in
his yard.

"I almost didn?t recognize him," Moxon said. "He was badly beaten.

"Hes still at home recovering," Moxon said of his 2-year-old dog, also a
German Shepherd. " I'm hoping he?ll recover in the next few days."

Jimi was a "multi purpose" dog, trained at detecting drugs and explosives
and tracking people. It's a common practice for police handlers to take
their assigned dogs home even though they belong to the departments.

"This is the first time I've come to work without him in two years," Moxon
said.

Anyone with information should call the Lamar County Sheriff?s Office at
770-358-5159 or 770-358-8881.