[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: please explain re: AKC

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: whit@xxxxxxxxxxx, sally@xxxxxxxxxxx, caretti1@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:31:46 EDT

In a message dated 3/13/2007 8:10:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
whit@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
IMO the  80% market is a market that people like Hunte created by filling
malls  with cute little puppies which contribute to the pet overpopulation
and  the AKC supports it.   Just like drug dealers create their  market.
They
are creating a need, not filling a  need.
Nancy

There are certainly impulse buyers, no doubt about it.  But maybe you
haven't had to field as many calls from people looking for a "hobby breeder" or

"good" breeder and had nowhere to send them as I have.

If it's 80% or 60% or 50% who  cares?  There are a LOT of people  who can't
find a dog from the avenues "we" suggest.  They are going to find  a dog one
way or the other. There's nothing in rescue locally and I sent  Jamie a link
the
other day for a no-kill Humane Shelter where I've gone to speak  and when I
sent the link, guess how many dogs they had for adoption????   Zero, zip, nada.
 They had cats and a few bunnies, and oh yeah, a  pig.

How would you suggest we (the "fancy" and/or the AKC) reach out to puppy
buyers even though we don't have a puppy for them and they don't choose an
avenue we approve of to purchase their puppy?  It would be a good thing to  do
no?
From a lot of perspectives; not only for the new doggy owner but to  increase
registrations, spark interest, maybe entries and club memberships,  educate
the new owner...no?

I was OK with the idea of registering a puppy at the point of sale, but if
you aren't, OK fine, but instead of repeating "puppy mills are bad", "puppy
mills are bad", "puppy mills are bad", can you get by that and say...OK, now
what?  Here is a constructive concrete suggestion, "....".  How do we  bring
this new puppy owner into the fold, raise the bar and move  forward?

You aren't going to shut off supply as long as there is an overwhelming
demand, and there most certainly is.  The AKC realized this a long, LONG  time
ago.  I'm reminded of it every time someone class for a puppy and  I have
nowhere
to send them.

So what do you suggest, turn our collective backs or reach out to  improve
the situation.  (Caution; if you choose the later, you'll be  accused of
sleeping with the devil, selling your soul or worse!)

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_
http://www.aol.com.