[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: please explain re: AKC

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, sally@xxxxxxxxxxx, caretti1@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:12:42 EDT

Another example,  I've had three people tell me they purchased  dogs
from Pet stores (not Petland - we don't have them here) that were
simple advertised as "Registered".   They purchased the pups  thinking
they were getting AKC registered dogs.  Instead they got an address  to
write to for their papers.  When the papers came back, they said
CKC or ACA instead of AKC.   I think a lot of puppy mills are  getting
more sales from everyone's belief that "Registered" means "AKC".
By the time the buyers find out the difference, the puppy has been
with them a couple of weeks and is part of the family.

At least if the ones that really were from AKC registered litters had
to have papers there at time of sale, the puppy mills wouldn't be
profiting that way.

I didn't see the Petland proposal as fostering puppy mills, because
it stops them from misrepresenting dogs from alternate registries as
AKC.   If anything, it will hurt the puppy mills that have lost  AKC
privileges because they can be more readily targeted.

- Janice

In a message dated 3/13/2007 8:25:11 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx writes:

I  saw this from another perspective.  The AKC has a new Family Pet   type
magazine, they want families involved and when you consider  roughly  20% of
puppies sold are purchased from "hobby breeders", I  saw this (registering
puppies
at time of purchase) as reaching out  to (some of) the other  80%, bringing
them
into the fold and perhaps  raising the bar so to speak.

Naturally, there'd be the added  advantage of increased registrations and
larger numbers re fighting  "bad" legislation.  (The conspiracy buffs will
say
it's all  about dollars; the AKC IS a registry and yes, registration dollars
ARE
important.)

Yes, I know, I know, those puppies had a rough start in  life in many cases,
but accepting the fact that 20% isn't going to  morph into enough puppies to
satisfy the need for puppies, why not  be proactive to improve their lots and

reach out and educate?   Rather than wait to see if they stumble across the
AKC
and all of  the programs and events? When the overall #s (clubs etc.) are
down  and the population of enthusiasts is aging? I thought capturing their
info
at the point of sale was OK.

Put another way, what would  you do to reach out to the other 80%?   They are
going to buy a  puppy whether you approve of where they got it of  not.
So...how do you reach them?

Kathy
member GSDCA,  DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live  here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_

Janice  Buchanan
Wasatch-Gold German Shepherds
_http://wasatchgold.brinkster.net/_ (http://wasatchgold.brinkster.net/)

"If  our dogs were smarter, they could tell us what they were
thinking. If we  were smarter, they wouldn't need to."
http://www.aol.com.